HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boer

Gearing/Sprocket sizes?

3 posts in this topic

I seem to be running out of gears. I am continuously in 4th & 5th.

What are the most common sprocket size combos to upgrade to on a 06 wr450 for more at the top? Will there be any issues with chain slap, suspension travel etc or any other disadvantages?

If I change the sprocket sizes do I have to change the chain as well? Are all dirt bike sprocket bolt patterns and chains the same?

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Regards

boer :thumbsup:

Man my '05 is a 14/50. I have a 45 tooth for the rear which changes the ratio from 3.57:1 to 3.21:1. The thing it really doesn't bring me back out of the top gears. May bring the revs down a bit but not really noticably. Problem for me was the git-up-and go kinda went away with the 45'er. Didn't disappear but I like to be able to romp on it and move. Being used to the 50 didn't help me cuz that was sorta my benchmark. Best thing I can tell you is keep her stock and appreciate those lower gears in the woods :thumbsup:

BTW the chain slapped so I got a masterlink repair kit for it and shortened it that way.