Switching back to Yamaha 27 Years Late

I'm really pissed off at Honda. I've been on mostly Honda since 1965 with an occassional DT1 or RD in the mix. I'm am soooooooooooo freakin' hot right now I can't think straight. Don't want a Euro bike...can't stand any of them. My only realistic choice now is an 06 WR450 for $6100 OTD. Wadda ya think? Better bike?

yes better bike but you should beable to get it for under 6k i did!

Two questions...What model Honda are you looking to replace the WR with? Why you so mad with Big Red?...SC

Just got mine 2 weeks ago and after the free mods I love it, paid 5460.

Yes why are you so pissed off at Big Red. Is it a valve issue? :thumbsup:

Picked up my 06 WR 450 last Friday, paid $5870.00 plus they threw in a new helmet. I just picked it up from the dealer for the 10 hour check. The service cost me $200 last time I do that from now on I'll be doing the service and repairs. $75 an hour labor, stinks.

I've been on an '04 XR4 for a couple of years. Great bike and still super reliable but time to modernize. I had a deal on a new '05 450X and when I went to pick it up today they (local Honda shop) told me they sold it. The deal was $5700 OTD which is very good in these parts. There are no more 450X bikes of any year currently available so I could not very well ask them for the same deal on different bike. What they did was sell the bike for more money and where I am concerned it is a "kiss my ass" type relationship. I told the owner to go **** himself and sent a very nasty E-mail to corporate about the whole situation. Just was not meant to be. So, having a long standing bias against all the Euro bikes, I'm left with only the Yamaha. I do mostly open desert type riding (Hare and Hound) but a couple times a year more "technical" type events.....Need a machine that will hold up to constant pounding in the open desert and one that is single track capable given my limits as a rider in that type of sh!t. Have to have an E-start because I'm afraid of a heart attack having to kick after a crash or stall especially in the altitude or heat. I'm a 46 year old spode trying to get my shit together. I do some "Baja" 70mph plus riding and need a bike that will do that as well as the single track type stuff on occassion. Anyway, I'm going to LA to pick-up a Yamaha unless you guys convince me otherwise.

Picked up my 06 WR 450 last Friday, paid $5870.00 plus they threw in a new helmet. I just picked it up from the dealer for the 10 hour check. The service cost me $200 last time I do that from now on I'll be doing the service and repairs. $75 an hour labor, stinks.

Too bad they wouldn't do the 10 hour check as part of the deal..... At least Yamaha will recall and repair when something is wrong....Honda won't reacll anyhting unless big money is on the line.

Brand new 07 right around the corner. The 06 and 07 are DIFFERENT bikes. If you're looking for a deal take the 07 press release with you and grill the dealer(s) like a cheese sandwich. You should do well. They don't want to be stuck with yesterday's bike on today's showroom floor.

Brand new 07 right around the corner. The 06 and 07 are DIFFERENT bikes. If you're looking for a deal take the 07 press release with you and grill the dealer(s) like a cheese sandwich. You should do well. They don't want to be stuck with yesterday's bike on today's showroom floor.

Think I should get the '07 then???

The '07 will likely be a great bike, but it's a complete redesign, frame, engine, suspension, the works. I'm a skeptic when it comes to the first model year of a bike with that many changes. The first year the WR450 came out (2003), the infamous "woodruff key" issue reared its ugly head. It was corrected for '04 and only slight performance and ergonomic changes happened through the bike's steel frame existence through '06. If it were me and my hard earned dollars, I'd get the '06 as you should be able to work a great deal. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of $5500 give or take. Based on what you want it for and how you described your experience level, you'll be very pleased. Also, we've gone throught the current models from all angles and know all the tricks, and so do the aftermarket manufacturers. For '07, it's gonna be a bit of a "back to the drawing board" situation. Plus, it outclassed the CRF450X according to the dirt rags, albeit by a small margin, if that's any "real" indication...SC

I'm a skeptic when it comes to the first model year of a bike with that many changes. The first year the WR450 came out (2003), the infamous "woodruff key" issue reared its ugly head. It was corrected for '04 and only slight performance and ergonomic changes happened through the bike's steel frame existence through '06.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the 07 WR. Yamaha pretty much hit the power/reliability combo on the 06 YZs and the 07 WR should be no different. I don't think Yamaha will screw up the E-start because they already have 3 years of experience on the big bores. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. Seems like either bike would be good. I'm leary of aluminum frames on desert bikes still. The weight difference on the '06 and '07 is nil but there are some engine changes on the '07 that look pretty good. Also lower foot pegs which make ergos better AND better brakes....If I can get a good deal on the '06 I'll jump on it but if not I'll wait for the '07.

Either way you can't go wrong! You are going to love your new bike. Trust us it is perfect for your type of riding.

Absolutely, either way, 06 or 07, you're going to really like the switch. Just remember to keep on the forum and take note of all the free mods. The bike from the dealer is not ready to ride. If you're dealer is in the know they should accommodate you on what's needed to make it a GREAT bike. Good luck!

Absolutely, either way, 06 or 07, you're going to really like the switch. Just remember to keep on the forum and take note of all the free mods. The bike from the dealer is not ready to ride. If you're dealer is in the know they should accommodate you on what's needed to make it a GREAT bike. Good luck!

I'm shopping. I did get a referral to another Honda dealer for the same deal only on an '06 vs. '05 450X.....Decisions! :thumbsup::applause::applause:

Don't want a Euro bike...can't stand any of them. My only realistic choice now is an 06 WR450 for $6100 OTD. Wadda ya think? Better bike?
Go for it. You won't be disappointed. I'm holding off for an 07 but you probably won't get the same kind of deal on the all new one. :thumbsup:

I wrestled with the Honda/Yamaha decision myself. Ended up with my 05 WR and am very happy. You really cant go wrong with either, but from all I hear and read the WR due to its 5 valve head is more reliable. My son has a 06 YZ250f and Yamaha is replacing the valves free due to a bad batch getting thru.