HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sbrown

How to install subframe on 06 YZ450--Help!!

10 posts in this topic

I read about this a while ago but didnt pay attention because I wasnt doing it. The search function has been disabled right now and I would like an answer as soon as possible to help me with completion of my bike after some disassembly.

My question is "what is the trick or technique to get the air boot to reinstall on the carburator while keeping the subframe in line to bolt up at the same time?

It is very tight in there, isn't it... I bolted the sub frame on first and then went back to the boot with WD40, it worked for me. I'm sure can do it in the reverse order but I was having a difficult time.

The great thing about the '06 sub is that it's much easier to line up the two lower ends of it, since they don't have to each fit in between two steel tabs. That lets you run the top bolt in, and swing the assembly down, locating the air boot as you go. As TFB suggests, use brake cleaner or carb cleaner to lube the boot. The reason you would use these but not use WD40 or something similar is because the brake/carb cleaner will disappear in a few minutes, leaving the boot dry, and with a good grip on the carb.

The great thing about the '06 sub is that it's much easier to line up the two lower ends of it, since they don't have to each fit in between two steel tabs. That lets you run the top bolt in, and swing the assembly down, locating the air boot as you go. As TFB suggests, use brake cleaner or carb cleaner to lube the boot. The reason you would use these but not use WD40 or something similar is because the brake/carb cleaner will disappear in a few minutes, leaving the boot dry, and with a good grip on the carb.

thanks for the advice-- Grey and everybody who responded

pull the top shock bolt out and tip the shock backwards. took many attempts to figure it out. works like a charm.

I had the same trouble the other day. I turned the rear spring around so that the gaps between the coils allow the boot to line up with the carb. As said.... use some carby cleaner.

I was almost ready to trade my bike in for yz250 after trying to put the boot over the carb:foul: I then settled down and came on here and found the solution. Someone said to move the shock back a bit so the boot clears it and it went right on:worthy: I re jetted it with a 48 pilot and 170 main, starts alot easier haven't rode it yet. This site rocks!:mad: