HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
busa4

99 yz400 knocking help.....

6 posts in this topic

this was my friends bike and he was rinding the bike for an hour with no problems. he took a 30 minute break and jumped on the bike again and rode for another 20 minutes and then the motor started knocking. i bought the motor from him and dissassembled the top end to find the intake valves just slightly tapped the piston. the motor still ran and the valves are not bent. i dont see any excessive wear on the chain guides and the tensioner was rock solid. the chain had no slack when i started to dissassemble. the only thing i can think of is chain stretch or valve adjustment. what do u guys think?

It seems like the cam chain might have slip a tooth. Did you verify the cam timing before you disassembled it?

i should of but i didnt. i assumed it had connecting rod bearing failure. wouldnt slipping one tooth change the timing so much it would have damged the valves and the head?

I had a con rod bearing go bad on me, however, it didn't effect the valves. I noticed fine particles of metal in the oil filter and on the magnetic plugs. Have you checked the filter? OH ! one other thing, when the big end rod bearing starts to go, I noticed that at part power, let's say 1/4 throttle, the engine surges up and down. It is a definite noise you can hear.

Check to see if the sprocket gear slipped on the cam. Make sure the lobes are 180 apart when the engine is at TDC. Do a search on the forum and I think you'll find people who have had the same problem.

THANKS. i driained the oil and there was no metal particals and the oil was damn near clean. do you guys know where i can get a cheap gasket kit at? ebay has nothing for these motors. i am going to reassemble it and recheck the timing.