New life for an old friend.

Well in an attempt to stay motivated, I'm postings my intentions of resurrecting my old Hare Scrambles bike.

Heres a couple of pics of the 91 motor I built for it. The color of the paint came out a little dark, but if thats the worst thing I run into, I'll be happy.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=26021

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=26022

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=26023

NICE WORK,how did you fit those cr forks?makes me thinking

I bought a 91CR250 with a bad motor ($200). When I ordered the kit from ATK way back when, it was designed to accept components from an 86 XR600.

The distance between the upper and lower triple clamps between those two bikes is the same, as is the diameter of the top steering stem bearing. The bottom bearing on the stem is larger on the CR. Where as the top and bottom bearings on the XR are identical. The stem on the XR is the same diameter from top to bottom. The stem on the CR has a larger O.D. at the bottom bearing.

Seeing as how the larger CR bearing was not going to fit into my frame, I needed to devise a way to use the clamps from the CR, with the bearings for the XR. I pressed both stems out of the lower clamps, then made a sleeve that would slide onto the XR stem and increase its O.D. where it fit into the CR lower clamp.

This was made on the a lathe, out of billet aluminum, pressed onto the XR stem, then the XR stem was pressed into the CR lower clamp. This made the swap a bolt on. The steering stops needed to be modified to keep the top clamp from hitting the tank at full lock.

It was a fairly easy swap, but then I'm a Tool & Die maker by trade, with an apprentice and a shop full of equipment at my disposal. But if there was a small machine shop in your area, all that would need to fabed up is that sleeve.

Sorry for the long post, I should have taken more pics. Then less typing.

I bought a 91CR250 with a bad motor ($200). When I ordered the kit from ATK way back when, it was designed to accept components from an 86 XR600.

The distance between the upper and lower triple clamps between those two bikes is the same, as is the diameter of the top steering stem bearing. The bottom bearing on the stem is larger on the CR. Where as the top and bottom bearings on the XR are identical. The stem on the XR is the same diameter from top to bottom. The stem on the CR has a larger O.D. at the bottom bearing.

Seeing as how the larger CR bearing was not going to fit into my frame, I needed to devise a way to use the clamps from the CR, with the bearings for the XR. I pressed both stems out of the lower clamps, then made a sleeve that would slide onto the XR stem and increase its O.D. where it fit into the CR lower clamp.

This was made on the a lathe, out of billet aluminum, pressed onto the XR stem, then the XR stem was pressed into the CR lower clamp. This made the swap a bolt on. The steering stops needed to be modified to keep the top clamp from hitting the tank at full lock.

It was a fairly easy swap, but then I'm a Tool & Die maker by trade, with an apprentice and a shop full of equipment at my disposal. But if there was a small machine shop in your area, all that would need to fabed up is that sleeve.

Sorry for the long post, I should have taken more pics. Then less typing.

I just say you are doing great work there on a neat hybrid! I like the ATK/XR deal and especially since the ATKs took XR wheels and suspension that is a good swap on the CR stuff. Keep up posting of the pictures of the progress! Im interested in seeing it complete. What coloure is the frame going to be? Also, love the coloure on the motor, like the XR650R which is exactly what Im going to do on my 96 XR610R Stupidmoto.

What paint did you use for the engine? Where did you find it?

Thats a Dupli-color paint from a rattle can. I bought it Auto Zone, its made for mag wheels, the color is bronze. I kept the empty can, and SKU # in case I need some more. If anyone needs it, I can post it here, or PM me.

Thanks Mike.

I just say you are doing great work there on a neat hybrid! I like the ATK/XR deal and especially since the ATKs took XR wheels and suspension that is a good swap on the CR stuff. Keep up posting of the pictures of the progress! Im interested in seeing it complete. What coloure is the frame going to be? Also, love the coloure on the motor, like the XR650R which is exactly what Im going to do on my 96 XR610R Stupidmoto.

This fall the frame will be staying blue, I want to get it together and ride it this fall. I plan to pull it back apart this winter, and am thinking I'll re-powder coat in the nickel color then.

What paint did you use for the engine? Where did you find it?

Heres the products I used to paint the motor, the stripper is expensive ($44 per gal.). And very caustic, follow the label instructions if you use one of these.

I stripped all the old paint off, then cleaned the surface with the thinner, then paint.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/atkxr600/tn_CIMG1476.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are moving along slow but sure. I finished up the airbox and electrical tonite. I realized that if I just put the exhaust on I could fire it up. Took a few kicks, but she came to life. Got a little ahead of myself, but it was neat to hear it run.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=27181