XRR Header wrap and overheating!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I just wrapped my headers two nights ago from the exhaust ports right up to the muffler and immediately noticed my leg wasn’t on fire on the way to work (I know I should be wearing boots but…)

Last night I went over the junction area with another wrap to see if I could insulate the area a bit more. Now the question:

At a stoplight this morning I noticed my bikes H2O temp (vapor comp) climb so rapidly I almost shit my pants. It was ~80f out and I was only stopped for about 1 min at most. The temp hit 275!!! Before wrapping the header I couldn’t get the temp to go over 265 wile riding in the woods in 110f texas heat. WHATS GOING ON?

-t

It doesn't seem logical that wrapping the header sustem would overheat the cooling system. Are you sure this isn't a coincidence brought on by knocking something loose or getting a flase reading from the watertemp sensor? I would think it is, as wrapping the header keeps the heat away from the motor, not in it. It also keeps exhaust temp up a bit and puts it out the end of the muffler instead of circulating around the entire exhaust system. This last bit is whyt I don;t thik this has anything to do with the reading. I think it is a coincidence and probably need to check your cooling system.

related question - what's a "dangerous" temp range for the bike? I run stock radiators, stock radiator cap, engine ice. I've seen my temp jump up very quickly when stopped and in idle - 3 minutes and it'll go from 160 to 210 - and I am considering to add a manually operated fan, or even oversized radiators to keep the bike happy when hitting tight trails.

Peter

when stopped and in idle - 3 minutes and it'll go from 160 to 210

here in dallas the bike sits at 200-205 when cruzin on the highway at mid rpm...I got a stock setup too (uncorked of course)

I thought the header wrap would keep the engine cooler by helping force the heat out the tail pipe, but now I’m thinking that the heat loss from the header may be a good thing and with it all wrapped up, the heat cant escape fast enough….this is all speculation based on what I observed this morning….

related question - what's a "dangerous" temp range for the bike? I run stock radiators, stock radiator cap, engine ice. I've seen my temp jump up very quickly when stopped and in idle - 3 minutes and it'll go from 160 to 210 - and I am considering to add a manually operated fan, or even oversized radiators to keep the bike happy when hitting tight trails.

Peter

Good idea, prevention is worht allot when you are in the middle of no-where. To answer your question, the temp is too high when the rad cap pops off and crakcs you in the wanker.

What up dog! this is Tom. Will do man, just been doin some other stuff these days. I was actually talking about you lastnight...I'll drop by tomorrow...were workin on the kx60 tonight. We got it goin lastnight and the thing rocks! it screams down the street sounding like your doing 100...when your really doing 25-30 ?

Mine seems to run cool, it has never blown any into the recovery tank but I have a complete exhaust system free flowing and run a 75 pilot jet and Mobil 1 Gold Cap, it likes to be a bit rich at idle, no hesitation and starts easy (rich/cool - lean/hot) wrapping the ex may hold in more heat.