HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
burto644

yz400 oil problem

6 posts in this topic

hey guys, i own a 98 yz400 and i did an oil change and was out riding on sunday and i noticed oil was coming out of one of my breather hoses that connect to the head of my motor. just wondering if anyone has an idea of why that might be doing that and if it is serious. cheers sam

Yea, I had the same thing happened to me. I made the mistake of checking the oil after the bike had been off for a while. It didn't even show on the dip stick. So I kept adding. Once it finally started showing on the dip stick, I went for a ride and it spewed out oil until it was down to the proper level. It was way too full. Now I know to only check it about one minute after it has been turned off (just like the manual says.)

A certain (very small) amount of oil dripping from the breather is normal. Usually, this will be a few drops after a hard run, or on the garage floor. More than that can mean too much oil in the system or an excessive amount of combustion blow by due to tired rings.

Not necessarily. The compression rings may leak while the oil rings are still in good shape.