'00 Hot Cam spacing

This may sound dumb, but here goes.

I recently bought my friends '00 426. I bought and installed a new Hot Cams exhaust with auto decomp. I checked the clearances and added the necessary shims. My question is, should there be 14 pins between the dots or does that apply to stock cams? Right now, there are 13 pins and the dots line up with the deck with the exhaust maybe 2mm above and the intake lined up perfectly.

I was going to ride it this weekend but my friends flaked so no go.

I would do what Hotcams said to do. Those of us who are running cams from an 03 or later in earlier model bikes worry about the spacing because the timing marks dont transfer. Have you released the cam chain tensioner? Might take up the difference at the head. I would think it should line up like a stock cam.

hot cams are timed at the head surface

the top dot is just an "up" mark

hot cams are timed at the head surface

the top dot is just an "up" mark

Right. Hot Cams' auto decomp cam for the YZ426 was made for the YZ426, and the timing marks on the cam should be used as if they were OEM cams. Line them up on the head surfaces using the procedure in the manual. Do not count chain pins to time them as you would in setting up a YZ450 cam in a 426. The valve angle and shaft centers are different between the two engines, which is why the 450 timing marks don't work. But the Hot Cams product, being made for the 426 specifically, has no such problem.

Thanks for the help.

I set it up based on OEM specs (same that HC says to do).

Right. Hot Cams' auto decomp cam for the YZ426 was made for the YZ426, and the timing marks on the cam should be used as if they were OEM cams. Line them up on the head surfaces using the procedure in the manual. Do not count chain pins to time them as you would in setting up a YZ450 cam in a 426. The valve angle and shaft centers are different between the two engines, which is why the 450 timing marks don't work. But the Hot Cams product, being made for the 426 specifically, has no such problem.

I just installed the hotcams exhaust cam in my '02 426 and had the same question until I found an old Grayracer post that said, basically, not to outthink the install as the cam is designed for the 426. As it turns out it is 13 pins when both cams are lined up correctly. Thanks again Grayracer.