WR400 owner in Australia, after some advice!

Hello boys and girls! My name is Dao, I'm new to this forum. I'm 23 years old, and from Melbourne, Australia. I've been working in a Yamaha dealership for over 7 years, but now I'm working part-time driving forklifts while studying to be a mech. engineer. Hooray!

Now that I'm past the introduction stuff that no-one will really care about, down to my questions.

I had to sell my WR250F to help pay for my engineering schooling, and I've recently been given a 1999 WR400 for the right price, and by 'the right price', I mean free. The thing is a bit of a shambles, definitely needs a bit of time and $$$ spent on it to make it Dao-worthy! I've had a bit of a browse around this forum (I only signed up earlier today) and I've found a couple of interesting things such as the YZ cam-timing mod etc., but what would be the first thing you guys would suggest I do to it? I'm going to pull the entire bike to bits and reassemble it with grease and Loctite, as I do this to every bike I've ever owned.

My bike has the gargantuan 12-litre tank on it (standard fitment on the Australian-market WR400F/426F), and I'd like to convert it to the 8-litre tank that was standard on the YZ250F/400F/426F. A tank and seat combo here in Australia will cost me upwards of $900, so I was wondering if any of you guys know of the best place to mailorder this setup from the States? I can't handle how big and fat it is, and I have no need for such a big tank (most of our rides are two-or-three hour blasts through a nice tight enduro loop), and I used to enjoy how slim my WR250F was. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help mates, and I'm looking forward to being an active member on this forum in the future.

keep the big tank!!! go on longer rides!

if the bike was free, spend the $$$ on parts it needs.

Oudy mate,

The first thing I'd do is take off the carby and replace the slide. They have a habbit of breaking apart and making their way into the engine. Do a search on this forum and you'll find out all about it. My mate's WR400 stopped dead in its tracks the other day because of this. Now he has to deal with a bent intake valve and scuffed bore. Even though the slide looks fine, they often develop a hairline fracture which eventually breaks.

I'd definately do the YZ timing mod. What exhaust are you running? The stock Ozzie one runs like poo! The YZ pipe goes real good. Check that your accelorator pump linkage is still working. They have a habbit of corroding.

Hope you can get the old girl on the trails soon. The 400 is an absolute blast!

Enjoy!

Hey Dao. I am from West Oz and a proud WR426 owner. I recently purchased the YZ426 tank (7.5ltr) and seat (SDG)combo from Clarke industries in the states for around $400 Oz delivered, my girl is now nice and thin with a flat seat now. Also order a YZ450 exhaust cam from Thumper talk store, OEM for around $150 delivered (check out the YZ cam mod thread). Starts first kick, no decomp lever and rides beautifully now, no compression lock ups to worry when you are in the tight stuff. Also do all the free mods like James Now and BK, then re Jet with a YZ250 needle and lean out the main to a 162. Also the best money spent was an adjustable air screw. I can pass you all the part numbers if you like. Cheers

The first thing I'd do is take off the carby and replace the slide. They have a habbit of breaking apart and making their way into the engine. Do a search on this forum and you'll find out all about it. My mate's WR400 stopped dead in its tracks the other day because of this. Now he has to deal with a bent intake valve and scuffed bore. Even though the slide looks fine, they often develop a hairline fracture which eventually breaks.

I'd definately do the YZ timing mod. What exhaust are you running? The stock Ozzie one runs like poo! The YZ pipe goes real good. Check that your accelorator pump linkage is still working. They have a habbit of corroding.

Thanks for your replies guys! I'll be pulling the carby apart and inspecting the slide very soon, seeing as I still have my staff discount at the Yamaha shop I used to work at, I might as well replace it. I've got a White Brothers E-Series muffler on it (the one with the Supertrapp-style discs), and the bike runs perfect with it, obviously it has had the jetting sorted. When I've got the carby apart, I'll check the jetting and compare it to what Mr Mark63 has said.

simon@vic: I'll be keeping the big tank and seat as well, in case I decide to do a big trailride. Only takes about 10 mins to swap them over!

I think the YZ450F exhaust cam will be a good thing for me to get, manual decomp is very over-rated these days!

Thanks for your help guys, speak to you again soon!

Dao

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but I figured it would make more sense than starting a new one! Here are some pics of the thing when I first got it, was looking a bit worse for wear, but for the magical price of FREE, I can't really complain.

100_0299.jpg

100_0300.jpg

100_0297.jpg

She needed a bit of TLC, so after spending a bunch of time (pulled it completely to bits, cleaned everything as best I could, re-assembled it with Loctite and grease in all the appropriate places) and money (genuine 8-litre tank, genuine YZ seat, all new plastics, new linkage bearings, chain and sprockets, shock service, new fork oil and bushes, new bars, levers, speedo eliminator spacer thing, tyres, Polisport Sharp handguards, Polisport headlight and about 5809289025.6 other things that I can't recall right now) she is starting to become the bike that I like!

100_0323.jpg

100_0324.jpg

100_0326.jpg

The pipe is a bit second-hand (held together with about four-hundred oddly-placed rivets, and a couple of 12mm bolts), so when I come across a nice cheap system I will be snatching it up, mostly for the convenience of being able to change the oil filter without moving the header pipe.

I've taken the bike for a few trailrides since doing all the work to it, and I can honestly say that I'm stoked on the thing! I'm a bit rustier than I used to be (here I am, saying all this at the ripe old age of 24), but I guess three years off a bike will do that to a man. I've got a few more things planned for it in the near future (I'll be doing the carby-slide replacement real soon), so I'll post more pics if anyone is interested. Time to go for a ride!

Edit: does anyone know how to post a picture without it having to be clicked to view? I thought that with an IMG tag, it would show up in the post. Help!

Looks good. Keep up with the good work and enjoy. My 400 has always pleased, especially after the YZ de-comp cam install :thumbsup:

You cant post picture other than that way.

How many litres is that tank, 8 or 10? yz or past 2001 wr?

If you can get yout hands on another setup like that (tank+seat) I'd be willing to buy it.

How many litres is that tank, 8 or 10? yz or past 2001 wr?

If you can get yout hands on another setup like that (tank+seat) I'd be willing to buy it.

The tank is a genuine Yamaha 9-litre one from a 2001 YZ426, and the seat is from the same bike. I was able to get hold of the seat for free, and the tank I just bought straight from a Yamaha dealership.

Any tank from a 98-2002 YZ400/426 will fit the bike, but you will also need the matching seat.

Does YZ tank have reserve option?

Can you get me a free bike too? It looks about what mine looks like and I paid for it. I'd be glad to take it apart and rebuild it. :devil:

Does YZ tank have reserve option?

It does now, because I used the original WR tap.

Also, Mr EricZ, I think I was just in the right place at the right time!