Grease the filter seal or not?

I just purchased my first new bike last week a 06 yzf450, and totally stoked. I was wondering if you guys are putting grease around the seal of the air filter the buts up to the intake. On my old 01 yz250 I never did, I just made sure that when I put it on that it seal all the way around and I never had anything come through. AMF

LOL...I also use hose as a "filter skin" when riding in dusty conditions. ?

Well I am riding in sand here and I use the panty hose thing. Only costs about 80 cents and it keeps some of the sand and dust off. yeah like you said Chokey it is like a filter skin..

I have applied grease to the sealing surface for over 30 years. It's an old habit that I won't break due to what could happen if the seal was ever compromised in any way.

Look at it this way, the grease doesn't hurt anything and makes a better seal. Not getting a good seal could have serious consequences so why take the chance? ?

I just purchased my first new bike last week a 06 yzf450, and totally stoked. I was wondering if you guys are putting grease around the seal of the air filter the buts up to the intake. On my old 01 yz250 I never did, I just made sure that when I put it on that it seal all the way around and I never had anything come through. AMF

Ask Flamedog! I bet he wished he did, he may have ate up a 06 wr450 motor because he didn't. No big deal, just a $4000.00 motor anyway? HuH :ride: Less than 5 minutes of work he saved, and cost him now, hours of anger and grief. YOU DECIDE ?

There is nothing wrong with adding the grease - but it does add a mess to clean up each time though - I have not been doing this for years and it has been fine. The filters fit much better than they used to in the ole days.....and there is oil on the lip surfaces from the filter oil to seal out contamination