HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richgiffen

1994 XR650L...Spark Plug Removal

6 posts in this topic

Silly question for you folks probably, but I am a newbie to the XR's. Previously a DRZ owner. I got a used bike for a great price, and it runs, but has been neglected and needs TLC. I attempted to change the plug but I cant get to it. Is there a special tool to remove the plug????

I did this job just last night for the first time (Picked up my XR 650L 3-months ago)

Use a proper 18 mill spark plug socket on a short exstension with a ratchet. Make sure the socket you buy is a 3/8th drive and not 1/2". Don't overtighten when putting it back in and gap the plug correctly (it's .8mm I think but double check) I find it easier to get at if I pull the tank off (undo one bolt and fuel line, turn petcock to off position and store tank somewhere where the dogs and kids can't dent it)

A deep socket won't work. I messed around with one for 20 minutes before giving up and going and buyiing the correct tool which is what I should of done in the first place.

Good luck

thanks for the reply. I took the whole bike apart to get to the plug like you stated, and played with various 18mm sockets for 20 minutes before facing the facts I needed a special tool. Glad to hear the i DID need a special tool.

The original plug wrench that came with the bike works, so does the one from an XR400 toolkit. MotionPro makes a thinwall long socket, it is a bit pricey @ around $23 but it works great, the TT store has it Here dead-center on the page.

Hey Rich, Happy just mentioned it ,the stock one works better,since you have to turn it with a wrech instead of a ratchet you get more space/clearance to do the job.Try to get one either used or new. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help...New to the XR's, Im an old DRZ owner. My XR didnt come with tools, so i will have to scam one from a friend. See ya out there....