XR 600 Question.

I have noticed that when the topic of XR 600/650's comes up a lot of people say they are too heavy to play ride and that the 400 is a much more nimble/fun bike to ride.Is this true?

I think realistically there is a 20lb difference between the two. Allot of people who say the XR600R is too big or heavy to playbike on are either use to 125s, or 2 stroke 250s. I think the XR600R is THE perfect playbike as it has TONS more power than the 400 and is just as easy to ride off road because it is only 20 pounds heavier.....but the power to weight ratio is way better on the XR600R too, so when under weigh, it feels lighter than the 400 till you have to pick it up off the ground.

I don't think the weight issue is as big as having the suspension set up correctly for both your body size and the style of riding you do (track, trail ect). I do know one or two guys who have raced the 600r on tracks but if thats your interest, you really need to consider a different bike.

And yes, the 600r is air cooled.

I don't think the weight issue is as big as having the suspension set up correctly for both your body size and the style of riding you do (track, trail ect). I do know one or two guys who have raced the 600r on tracks but if thats your interest, you really need to consider a different bike.

And yes, the 600r is air cooled.

Right, I would not pick any XR serries to race on a MX track, but if he wants to race hare and hounds or scrambles or desert...then the XR600R is perfect, the 400...not so good.

I am looking for a play bike not a bike to race.My son has a bike and we like to trail ride and a bit of pit riding.

Well, trail riding on an XR is fun, but pit biking on an XR600R is well, uh fun too! Id look for an XR250R for your needs, not only can it even give me, and XR600R owner with well over 35 years of riding and racing experience a thrill, but it can be handed down to your son when he gets big enough and it will last, with good maintainence, forever! They can be plated easily in most states as well if you want an economical street bike that is also very fun.

I have both an xr600 and an xr250. My kids are young 8 and 10 and following them on the xr6 sometimes is not fun on the small tight trails. Since it is having starting issues I took the 250 on a camping trip up north and rode around 60 miles over the weekend mostly on fireroads and some small narrow 2 track and it did great and that is saying alot since I am a big guy over 300 lbs. I do miss the the 600 though and all its power.

the 20 lbs weight difference between the xr 400 and 600 . is this dry weight or with both tanks filled?

cuz when my 600 is gassed up it feels VERY heavy, especially on a slow off camber situation. once that bike starts to fall get outta the way cuz there is no saving it unless you want to wrench your back.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as big-bore four-strokes go, the XR6 was the king of its time which was quite a fair while! The bike made heaps of torque, enough power to satisfy most riders, has suspension good enough to handle most conditions, awesome brakes, was reliable as an axe and easy to service. To put weight into perspective, heres a comparison on all the XR6's old competitors, all bikes stripped for dirt use, full of fuel-

*XR600 137 kilograms

*XR400 127 kilograms

*KLX650R 147 kilograms

*DR350E 135 kilograms

*DR650 150 kiloograms

*KTM620 128 kilograms (but less reliable)

*TT600 145 kiilograms

I hope this helps with your decision

cheers,

Mark.

I have owned 3 XR600s, 1 XR400, 2 XR350s and 6 XR250s. I have ridden all of them in conditions varying from Baja to Florida and Michigan sand to the tight woods in Kentucky and Ohio, mountainous conditions in Colorado, Utah and Montana. On fast open riding and trails that are not too tight, the 600 is the choice, big engine, big fun. In tight technical stuff, the 600 is still fun, but will wear you out a lot quicker. The 250 or 400 (the 350 was fun too, but heavy) is my choice in the tight stuff.