HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alex_YZ450F

Stripped Bolt Need Help!

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was changing the oil on my 450 and accidentally overtightened the right side lower crankcase drain bolt. In doing so I stripped a fair, 1/4'', amount of threads off of the inside (not the bolt). My question is; will I be ok with just putting on a new bolt, the flange on the current one is crooked, or should I get it re-tapped? The bolt is out of the bike and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

You may get lucky and be able to use a longer bolt if not it will need to be fixed. Maybe a helicoil would do the job for you,I would be very careful with this as it is a oil drain!

The best fix would be a timesert which comes in a kit for the size you require, it will be permanent and will not strip out again, if you google timesert you should come up with their website and you can order direct. Mike

Either of those will work fine alex. It is pretty scary to drill into a piece of magnesium, especially when you are dealing with oil but it is a really easy process to do. Take your time and you will be pleasantly suprised how easy it is to fix! good luck

"Lower right side" sounds like an '06. If so, I'd like to know:

What does magnesium have to do with it? (the crankcase is aluminum), and,

How do you propose to drill or tap into that hole? (the rear of the engine has to be raised far enough to get the drain hole out from behind the frame)