BEER AND YZ TIMING

HAD A FEW BEERS ON THE WEEKEND WHILE DOING THE YZ TIMING MOD. PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND IT STARTED FIRST KICK. TOOK IT FOR A SPIN, EXCELLENT ACCELERATION. WHEN I SOBERED UP I REALISED THAT I HAD TURNED THE INLET CAM INSTEAD OF THE EXHAUST CAM. SEEMS TO RUN PERFECTLY WITHOUT ALTERING THE JETTING. CAN I LEAVE IT LIKE THIS? WILL IT DO ANY DAMAGE?

It was Tennants super. I dont Know if you get it in the states, but its good stuff. After I completed the "beer mod" the timing marks on both cams ligned up with the head. It is a 99 wr400. If i had turned the exhaust cam, none of the timing marks would have been in line with the head. I was also able to turn the cams without unbolting them as there was enough slack in the camchain. How do you know when the camchain needs replacing.

NO SERIOUSLY, WITH THE I ON THE CRANKSHAFT LIGNED UP, THE TIMING MARKS ON THE CAMS ARE LEVEL WITH THE HEAD , BUT THERE ARE NOW ONLY 12 PINS BETWEEN THEM???????????????????? IF I NOW TURN THE EXHAUST CAM IT WILL THEN BE DOWN TO 11.

Salty, have you ever met Taffy? You guys are practically neighbors. Taffy does interesting things with timing as well. Although, he will probably encourage you to quit smoking! ?

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: PMAUST ]

It sounds like you did the same thing I did - only I wasn't trying to go to YZ timing. I goofed while adjusting the valves and moved the intake cam ahead 1 pin and the bike made horrible noises. I thought I had lost the counter balancer gear drive key and went thru that fix only to later figure out I had screwed the valve timing. I really don't want to know what was causing the noise.....

I'd correct the timing.

Brian

if you retarded the inlet cam by going clockwise, theoretically you're cam is safer (the valves) from hitting the head. the cam is now wrong.

put them both right. the camchain is still good it's just that you become a brute when you're pissed as well!

i'm sure you're from the mid/south so where.

my family are from Betws-y-coed, north wales.

Taffy

TAFFY, I WILL HAVE A FEW BEERS AND CORRECT IT ON THE WEEKEND. I LIVE IN PONTYPRIDD AND REGULARLY GO RIDING IN THE BEACONS, NEXT TIME YOU COME THIS WAY GIVE US A SHOUT. THE HILLS ARE FULL OF THE SWEET SOUNDS OF WR'S (AND QUITE A LOT OF DRZ'S).