I tryied a YZF ofr the first time!

I own a YZ-ized WR426. I ride it on the track all as often as I can. Lately, I've bottomed the suspension a couple of times...

The owner of the track we go to had me try his YZ250f today. It's a 2001.

The bike runs real good. Great suspension, no bog in the rev, etc.

Honestly it is really less powerfull than my WR426 but how more manageable!

The weight difference is f... HUGE!

Now that I've tried that bike and I've proven myself that I can be as fast on a YZ250f as a WR426, and avoid suspension bottoming at the same time, and get less tired... I have projects to buy a YZ250f in the future (and keep the WR for the trail and dual sport only).

Give me a reason why I should go and buy a 450f instead of a 250f.

I don't have the bottom hit with the 250f but hey, it's not like I'm a pro or anything like it anyway you know...

Why do you guys ride 450s really?

Thank you for your input

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ride them because our dicks are bigger and testosterone levels are off the charts!

Nah, the power is aways there on a 450, the 250F is a good bike dude... Just make sure you understand that 125cc bikes might be quicker then that 250F.

Sounds like you like it more, and I do agree it is way more controllable. ?

Thanks...

Last year I was lapped by the track owner's son after ten laps. I was riding my WR426 and he was riding his KTM85!

So let's face it: I'm a decent offroader aboard my good ol' 426 but I'm not talented enough to push a 450 to the level it diserves to be ridden on a mx track.

I think I'd better bet on light weight and control... and make a few more laps during the afternoon than if I was on an arm pumping 450.

Just make sure you understand that 125cc bikes might be quicker then that 250F.
I haven't run into one that was. I've had guys who were riding with us for the first time mistake Junior's 250F for a 426 based on how fast it is.

Math,

If you like the light weight and the manageability of the power that you experienced with the 250F, but you also like the torque of a big engine, the '06 YZ450 is the ultimate answer. But if you can't fit that in the budget, the 250F is a lot of fun to ride, and won't take a lot of static from much of anything if you ride it hard enough.

If you decide on an earlier YZ450, it will still weigh less than the WR, but will be a bit harder to wrestle around than the little bike, and will demand a lot more attention to throttle management. So much, in fact that some people find it takes the fun out of things for them. Others thrive on it. To each his own.

my bro has a 250f and thought thats all the power he will ever need. after racing a season on it he wants a 450f so i know the budget is probably limited but the 250f would be a good place to start and a little later down the road you might wanna move up. just try and test ride a YZ450F around the track and a 250f and see what you like more

Thank you guys for your input.

I definitely need to try one of these YZ450f...

I'm good on throttle control, that's about the only thing I'm really good at.

I'll follow you guys advice and try one. In the end, I might save on the aftermarket goodies. I doubt I'm gonna need an aftermarket pipe, hot cams or things like that on a 450f... I would just keep it stock in the engine department and fly as is.

I'll try to put my hand on one.

What is the diff in weight between the YZ250f and the YZ450f of the same year?

I'm not that much of a maniac that I'll want to buy a particular year but I remember the critics saying the 2003 was an animal and saying the 2004 and 2005 was more manageable. The budget probably will not be there for a 2006 or 07 so what do you think of the 2004?

Would it be a good purchase for a week end warrior to buy a 2004 dealer showroom leftover? If you guys think so, I might try to look at the dealers across the province of Quebec and northern Ontario to find one.

Thanks

Obviously, one of the things you have to ask yourself is how fast you want to be. For me it's about the fun factor. I occasionally ride with a former top ametuer that rides a 250f and can blow the doors off of just about anyone. I could probably even ride a 250f faster but I really like the power just for the sake of being able to blast off from anywhere. On long hill climbs it's like the hills aren't there. Just point and shoot. I went through the weight vs. power debate and settled on power. But, I stink as a rider and know it so who cares.

Are you really trying to be competitive? If so, then go with what will help you win. Are you trying to have fun? If so, then go with whatever you will have the most fun on. Life is short so have lot' of fun for sure.

I haven't run into one that was. I've had guys who were riding with us for the first time mistake Junior's 250F for a 426 based on how fast it is.

Math,

If you like the light weight and the manageability of the power that you experienced with the 250F, but you also like the torque of a big engine, the '06 YZ450 is the ultimate answer. But if you can't fit that in the budget, the 250F is a lot of fun to ride, and won't take a lot of static from much of anything if you ride it hard enough.

If you decide on an earlier YZ450, it will still weigh less than the WR, but will be a bit harder to wrestle around than the little bike, and will demand a lot more attention to throttle management. So much, in fact that some people find it takes the fun out of things for them. Others thrive on it. To each his own.

I couldnt agree more on the '06 450. I love my 426 but being only 130lbs its a lot to throw around. I am really enjoying the new 450. I race some enduro events, and yes i might be faster on a 250F but I love the power of the big bore!!!! I really ride to enjoy, not to be the fastest around the track!

If you can afford it, get an '06 450.... you wont look back.