Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quailboy

oil drain plug

9 posts in this topic

so the idiot that owned my bike before me rounded the head off of my oil drain plug. how do i get it out or around it? and what do you recommend to replace it?

so the idiot that owned my bike before me rounded the head off of my oil drain plug. how do i get it out or around it? and what do you recommend to replace it?
Grind a slot in it...Tap it loose with a screwdriver and a hammer...Buy a magnetic drain plug for your bike..To catch the small gear filings....Dont over tighten it..No need to go crazy on an oil drain plug..

I have had this happen twice to me. The first time I used a Dremel to flatten the head out on two sides so I could grab it with vise grips. The second time I drilled a hole in it and used an Easy Out bit to back it out. Any big auto parts store sells them.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

If you have enough of the :ride: bolt head I'd go with the vice grip method.Definetly get a :thumbsup: magnetic plug to relace the stocker.

I have had this happen twice to me. The first time I used a Dremel to flatten the head out on two sides so I could grab it with vise grips. The second time I drilled a hole in it and used an Easy Out bit to back it out. Any big auto parts store sells them.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Pretty much what I was going to say.

If you can get a good set of vice grips in there (vice grip brand) that should do the trick. Try that first...

I will second those Sears Bolt Out's.

I had a crazy stripped oil drain plug and the Sears Bolt Out just took it off like nothing.

Best $20 i ever spent.

Then go get a Zip Ty Racing Magnetic plug. Second best $20 you will spend.

I will second those Sears Bolt Out's.

I had a crazy stripped oil drain plug and the Sears Bolt Out just took it off like nothing.

Best $20 i ever spent.

Then go get a Zip Ty Racing Magnetic plug. Second best $20 you will spend.

:thumbsup::ride::applause: