Help please, 97 xr600 sputters

Hello all.

I am new to the forum I found TT by doing a search on goggle for forums on the xr600, and low and behold I was directed here.

I have used the search feature on the site to look up my dilemma, but I am still confused. So here is my problem.

I live in the desert after moving from the east coast and started doing longer rides at wot rather then trail riding back east.

I noticed on my first few rides that the bike started sputtering in 1st threw 3rd at 1/4 throttle but not to bad (not enough to stop riding.)

Anyway it got worse as the months went by.

I have cleaned the carb completely twice I have changed the gas in the tank.

I have looked for air leaks. I have messed with the main jet, air mixing screw.

I have done just about everything that i have read from the forums.

Oh it runs liked a raped ape when cold, but as soon as it gets hot, that's when the syptoms occur.

I'm at a loss, Is there anything else I could try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probably the infamous XR cough stall.

The XR600 was famous for cough-stalling - situations wher you grab a handful of throttle at low revs, (climbing a hill for eg) and then see the clear path, hwack the throttle and she dies!!!

There is not real cure, you become used to it and anticipate it.

As XR600s get older they get more prone to cough stalling.

The cause is a massive lean out when you whack the throttle. Try smoothing your throttle approach and see how you go

Thanks for the advice.

However, I took it out for a spin again today and tried the light roll on the throttle still the same.

I have a WB exhaust pipe and Twin air filter, the rest of the bike is stock.

I have just put a 155 main in, and i have gone 2 1/2 turns on the stock pilot.

Still when it gets hot it coughs and hacks in 1st-3rd at 1/4 throttle.

I have too rip thru the gears to not get this too happen.

I'm thinking my needle jet either needs replace, or another darn good cleaning.

for the third time.

All I want to do is ride again, any advice would be so appreciated

How's it for starting? The reason I ask is these bikes are susceptible to having the stator exciter coil windings break down especially when hot which might contribute to the problem. The manual gives the specs for ohm resistance mines a '89 with different specs so you'll have to search for yours. If you did a good job on the carb the problem might be ignition.

The bike starts fine.I'll look up the specs on the stator.

that was my next choice, just hate the thought of it is all.

Thanks for the advice.

However, I took it out for a spin again today and tried the light roll on the throttle still the same.

I have a WB exhaust pipe and Twin air filter, the rest of the bike is stock.

I have just put a 155 main in, and i have gone 2 1/2 turns on the stock pilot.

Still when it gets hot it coughs and hacks in 1st-3rd at 1/4 throttle.

I have too rip thru the gears to not get this too happen.

I'm thinking my needle jet either needs replace, or another darn good cleaning.

for the third time.

All I want to do is ride again, any advice would be so appreciated

A few reasons for this. one is the needle is too rich, try moving the clip up, therefore leaning out the needle one clip position. Another reason for this could be the stock backfore screen is removed, this is a mod mopst do that thry shouldn't. It leads to all kinds of carb jetting problems whihch are very slight in some areas, great in others. I have 2 XR600Rs, one does or did the same thing yours is doing and when I leaned out the needle one postion it quit almost completely. But my backfire screen is history and Im replaceing it because of these little problems. Actually I am also going to a flatslide pumper carb as well.

main jet should be about a 175

main jet should be about a 175
only at sea level with a complete header/pipe and airfilter, and air box mods. I thought he aid he only had a pipe? If so it is acting rich, when a bike warms up and runs crappy it is rich, or theirs a electrical problem with something getting hot and crapping out, when a bike is lean, it is hard to start but runs well when warmed up unless very lean, then it warms up then burns up! I think he either has a problem with the pulser coails getting hopt or it is rich on the needle, and maybe even lean on top with that 155 main, Id go to a 165~1`68 main, then try the needle deal, then go look for something electrical...