brake rotors for 650R

I'm about to order the oversized front - just wondering how the magnet location for my vapor trip computer would transfer to the new disk (it's already all drilled in the caliper so I can't move the sender, just the magnet)> Anyone ever move from a stock front to the 280 front after they already had a trip computer installed? Problems?

Peter

is the improvement in braking significant?

The caliper does not change. The larger rotor offers more total contact surface (due to increased diameter) which reduces the heat build up that can cause fading from using the brake a lot. Add braided stainless steel brake lines and you will notice a difference.

I also noticed that the oversized rotor provides a more progressive feel to the braking (greater range in braking response). This is solely from the rotor because I had already been riding with the braided brake lines for a while.

is the improvement in braking significant?

I also use the EBC 280. It is a great improvement over stock and I would NEVER go back to stock. For on the road you could go larger but off-road I would try to keep it as small as possible. I would have loved to keep the stock rotor and use a more powerful caliper but couldn't find any. Also, the EBC was the most afordable which is a bonus!

NOW...if I could find a way to stop the rear from overheating I'd be a pig in chit!

:-)

The caliper does not change. The larger rotor offers more total contact surface (due to increased diameter) which reduces the heat build up that can cause fading from using the brake a lot. Add braided stainless steel brake lines and you will notice a difference.

I also noticed that the oversized rotor provides a more progressive feel to the braking (greater range in braking response). This is solely from the rotor because I had already been riding with the braided brake lines for a while.

Careful! I posted the same supposition, that only a caliper upgrade makes a significant difference, and was about blasted off the board!!!!! "THEY" claim there is a mechanical (leverage) advantage to a bigger rotor and thus GREATLY improved braking!!! (NOT sure if it's the same guys that think an air filter change gets them 5hp. ?

Careful! I posted the same supposition, that only a caliper upgrade makes a significant difference, and was about blasted off the board!!!!! "THEY" claim there is a mechanical (leverage) advantage to a bigger rotor and thus GREATLY improved braking!!! (NOT sure if it's the same guys that think an air filter change gets them 5hp. ?

$5 says in a one time panic braking test the stock and oversized rotor will bring the bike to a stop in the same distance. The rider input may change due to the mechanical advantage of the oversized rotor but once fully applied the braking is the same.

I noted a more progressive feel with the oversized rotor. I attribute this to the mechanical advantage, where less pressure is required. However, I doubt that more total braking power (disk pad pressure applied against the rotor) is available without a different caliper (I.E. 4 pot caliper).

$5 says in a one time panic braking test the stock and oversized rotor will bring the bike to a stop in the same distance. The rider input may change due to the mechanical advantage of the oversized rotor but once fully applied the braking is the same.

I noted a more progressive feel with the oversized rotor. I attribute this to the mechanical advantage, where less pressure is required. However, I doubt that more total braking power (disk pad pressure applied against the rotor) is available without a different caliper (I.E. 4 pot caliper).

Wow, someone else that understands that! ?

Yep, just a cheap mod to increase the mechanical advantage by moving the brake caliper further out. Don't forget about the ability to transfer heat faster as well. So simple..... so effective.

There has been said, many times that, "The larger rotor offers more total contact surface" but, it is the pads that contact the rotor. Therefore there is the same applied contact surface, what changes is the leverage. The ratio of that applied pressure is changed and this does make a difference but, like has been said. the stock rotor/ brake pads have enough friction to stop the front tire in a panic stop. Once the tire stops there is no difference in which rotor you use. The difference is the control of how much you slow the rotor down vs time in applied pressure or the feel you get in the control of how you stop/slow down the rotor (feed back). This is a big difference because of the ratio leverage. I have a EBC 280 front rotor but, have not installed it yet. I like my rotor cover and am not sure in the 280mm will fit under it. I have lots of things taking up my time and this is not a big need as of yet. The idea of doing stoppies on this bike is why I got the rotor. In the dirt this is not a "big need" but, on the street this would be a big help in stopping and the control of those stops. Just locking up the front tire is not the goal but, how you stop it.

I have seen more and more the split from the guy that has bought a XR650R to go all out and those that get it for the weekend trail ride. If you are all out then you will have already done your suspension and have looked for more power.......now you would want to have better control of how you are going to stop the 320+ pounds that you have gotten up to 90+mph in the dirt. Yes, a bigger rotor will help and if you want to do stoppies I think it's a must.

680cc Wiseco 11:1 piston, Barnum's Pro cam, Carrillo Rod, Kimberwhite valve springs & S/S valves w/ 3mm over sized intake, Clarke 4.3 tank, Edelbrock bored to 42mm X 40mm, 19 needle 16 clicks out, pump screw full on, Moriwaki Full Exhaust w/ black ceramic coating, UNI air filter, Holes in air filter cover, No back fire screen, Baja Designs Sol-Tek 100watt Baja light, Shark Fin, Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines (red) and brake pads, Titex rotors, Scott's steering dampener, Applied triple clamp, SuperBrace fork brace, Renthal RC Fatty Bars, Oil sight tube, Acerbis; Pro-Hand guards, LED Tail Light, Fender w/ fender brace & front rotor cover, XR's Only's, Chain Guard, case saver & skid plate, IMS Fluidyne Radiators & Pro foot pegs, Spyder Grips, Ceet seat cover, LED tail/brake light, Re-wound duel stage stator & stator case vent tube, 49or47 Iron Man sprocket, X-ring EVR2 Gold chain, Gold Excel rims, Red Rad hubs and Heavy Duty Spokes, 115 NAPA Thermostat, Evens Coolant, Eibach 45kg Fork springs w/re-shimmed & Re-valve, legnthened 20mm, 110mm 2.5wt ultra light Golden Spectro SPL Fork Fluid, Eibach 10kg shock springs on a CR500 shock with Gold valve, (90mm preload) 200psi nitrogen, US-1 RaceTech shock oil, re-shimmed & Outerwears Shock Sock, 15/47 IronMan Sprockets - Soon to have a 280mm front rotor.[/B]

gif11.gif

1%20(56).JPG

headlight.JPG

www.xr650r.borynack.com