HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crash 2006

Chain Questions

7 posts in this topic

I want to order me a chain, but I am not sure which one is the correct one to order. :ride:

What do these numbers mean :thumbsup:

I take it these are different link pitches? If so, what pitch does my 06 take and how many links for the stock sprockets? I want to order a chain from TT, but everyone seems to recommend the Regina O-ring chains, but TT does not sell them.

Thanks...

To be honest I don't know what the numbers mean...I think it is pitch, width, or something like that.

However, I do know you want a 520. The '06 with stock gearing would be 520x114. I just bought a 520x120 and had the shop take out 6 links (I bought it at the shop, and they took them out their for free).

Call TT and ask if they can get them for you, just because it isn't on the site don't mean they don't sell them. If you can't find it, www.motosport.com sells them, and you can get the exact links if you want (520x114). DID ERT2 Gold is a great chain too!

-Mike

yeah, get the 520, in what ever brand/style you want.

I always get a 120 link chain and break to size. That way you always have spare links.

The numbers are chain sizes. They are both different pitches and widths. the 400 series numbers are 1/2" pitch, and the 500's are 5/8" pitch. Pitch is the length of the link from center to center of the pins. Both the pitch and the width are dictated by the sprockets, and you need a #520.

What about front and rear sprockets? I think that is the last upgrade I need for my bike.

Depends how bad the stock chain wore the orginal ones. I would just get all new sprockets, with the chain. I bought my chain right away, so I used the stock sprockets.

Depends how bad the stock chain wore the orginal ones. I would just get all new sprockets, with the chain. I bought my chain right away, so I used the stock sprockets.

The sprockets are fine, as I have only run about 2-3 tanks of gas though that bike. I was thinking about installing a larger back sprocket. I don't want to have to fly up hills to stay in the power. Today I was riding rocky steep hills in first gear, thinking a larger rear sprocket might let me climb it in second, and if there is trouble, I can shift down???