Quality of baja kit for 650R ?

Just wondering how everything fits and the quality rating of the controls and things ? Anything you have to bend, twist, tweak, file or drill to get it to fit right?

Does the handlebar switch appear to be as nice as a stock L switch and come to think of it does the kit come with a horn? Have a hi-low baem?

Could I see close up shots of switch on bars? Close up's too of anything you feel could be improve or has been improved by you or company.

Thanks!

I bought the BD quick release kit 2 years ago

It was very easy to fit and went on the bike with no problems straight out of the box since then the relay/flasher unit broke and i replaced it with a standard unit from an auto factors I did have to get different wattage bulbs to match the new relay/flasher.

The light output is ok from the dip/main beam an is a big improvement over stock. The switch gear is ok but by no means as good as ome there is an integral horn and 15A fuse plus high beam indicator.

only just recently the regulator/rectifyer gave up after i upgraded the bulb to a 55W and rewound the stator

other than that its a great solution to how to improve over stock

I don't have an xr650 but I have experience with 2 baja kits. Baja designs has been at this a long time. Their full kits (not enduro) are street legal meaning horn, high/low headlight, bright indicator, and all street legal requirements are included....except a mirror. The kit is not as flashy as some of the others but the connections are nice and the directions make it an easy plug and go. I haven't had any problems with mine.

I would also get another one without hesitation. It has great easy to follow instructions, signals are bright, high beam is bright. It is a simple design that works. Only thing they need to improve on is the rubber band that holds the signal flasher, it dries up and cracks then the flasher falls out of it. Easy fix is to use a zip tie to hold it. They should use a quality rubber and the problem would be solved.

Does the stator have to be rewound in order for the kit to work with the BD headlight, if not is it okay for some night riding without rewinding?

I think that the lights will just be dimm. You need to have it rewound though.

I just installed my dual sport kit w/ flush mount leds from BD. The kit was very easy to install and works very well. I have installed wiring harnessess from ground up on a few cars and their connections are exactly how they should be. As far as the stator. I am running a rickystator. I failed to mention that to BD, so I am currently only running one side. I have no dimming at idle, the light is constant and bright. As soon as I get the relay, I wil be stepping up to the 55w bulb. Should be sweet. Just three words. Worth the money!

The BD kit is a good product but you have to understand its limitations. It is designed to be dependent on a battery to run your flashers at idle. If you intend on just connecting trails this works fine but if you are planning on a significant amount of riding on public roads, especially at night, then you will quickly learn the limitations of the setup with the stock stator. I had a 55/60w bulb in place & the battery was low on charge when I rode home one night and nearly did not make it home! Even with the engine reving the output was inadequate to run even the low beam. I rewound the stator myself for $25 and now have a setup that works perfectly. I consider a rewound stator madatory for regular use on public roads. Don't find out the hard way! I started 2 threads here about this. There's a recent one titled "DIY stator rewind" in which I recieved all the instruction needed to do this mod. If you're not up to rewinding it yourself then the price of a rewound one is pretty reasonable.

Well this kit pretty much got rave reviews from all of you so it seems very well thought out.

Thanks all ! ?

hypersthenos.............You recommend to rewind the stator being madatory for regular use on public roads which I'll go along with that too from what other info you said about it. Does BD say so too in the directions? Just curious.

I found the BD kit didn't hold up nearly as well as the Electrix kit. that was just my take. but i've only had on of each.

Electrix kit ? Have a link to that?

? So what on the BD kit didn't hold up nearly as well?

Sorry don't know the link I'm sure someone here does I think its (Electrex USA). i didn't like the quality off the control switch and found it very finicky, also the turn signals and lights were of the cheapest quality and for what you pay for the kit i think there should be a little more money spent on the components. the electrics kit could also be improved upon but it is far better. i built the kit on my 650r that i ride now and i was able to pick the best parts and it was cheaper then purchasing a kit.

Sorry don't know the link I'm sure someone here does I think its (Electrex USA). i didn't like the quality off the control switch and found it very finicky, also the turn signals and lights were of the cheapest quality and for what you pay for the kit i think there should be a little more money spent on the components. the electrics kit could also be improved upon but it is far better. i built the kit on my 650r that i ride now and i was able to pick the best parts and it was cheaper then purchasing a kit.

If your right about your claims, that would bug me too. That's why I asked to see pic's of the switch as I hate cheap looking parts.

? Wierd that you are the only one that mention this?

Theres tons of Baja kits around on peoples bikes. your better to look at a kit for yourself a pic won't do. If your capable you should build the kit, then you get what you want for example all LED lighting, buy a stock XRL control box off ebay, a good Strong DOT headlight that doesn't look like it was built in 1984.theres a lot of room for improvement plus its tons of fun!

Even if my bike had not come with the BD kit I probably would have bought one anyway just because of the customer support & readily available replacement components. I have to admit I don't think the BD headlight is the best looking out there. If I break mine I'll probably look for an alternative. After finding all the information on this site I agree that you could piece a setup together that would work fine, but it does require a fair knowledge of electrical repair and the right tools to do so. This does not change the fact that a XR650R stator rewind is mandatory for true use on public roads. I'm reminded of this every night on the way home from work at midnight (I work evening shift).