Pumper wars! Mikuni vs Edelbrock vs Keihin - for an L!

Several hours of reading threads and I still can't decide which will be best for my L.

XRs only has

42 Mikuni pumper

45 Mikuni pumper

41 Keihin FCR

Barnum has

Edelbrock (41?)

I have a stock 97 XR650L w/ full FMF powerbomb powercore 4 system. desnorkeled and desmogged.

What do you guys have? How easy is the swap?

thanks!

rob

I did a ton of research as well...and I'm in the same boat as you. I would love feedback as welll on aftermarket carb options

... and will they all fit ok with a Clarke 4.7?

Heres what I have heard....

best quality, and best for power (slightly) and most tuneable: hands down, Keihin FCR41....but al;so most expensive at about $500.00 for the bolt on kit.

Second in all the same catagories: Mikuni TM fl;atslide 42mm, but only about $289.00 for the entire kit.

Then, the Edlebrock but I have read tons of problems with them tuning wise here and on Thumpertalk.

I'm going Mikuni on the Motard, 1996 XR600R with 610 kit and soon to also have a ricky stator and a stage 1 hotcams cam, and som porting, but first the carb kit from Sudco...Mikuni 42mm TM flatslide. They say it is THE best bang for the buck and same quality as the Keihin....

Second in all the same catagories: Mikuni TM fl;atslide 42mm, but only about $289.00 for the entire kit.

hmm... Xrs has it for 435.00 for the Mikuni 42 or 45mm pumper. They just started selling these a while back, but have modified several for customers previously (so says their site).

the mikuni flatside (non pumper) is around 230. I am solely looking for info on the Best pumper.

thanks guys!

rob

hmm... Xrs has it for 435.00 for the Mikuni 42 or 45mm pumper. They just started selling these a while back, but have modified several for customers previously (so says their site).

the mikuni flatside (non pumper) is around 230. I am solely looking for info on the Best pumper.

thanks guys!

rob

Yeah I missed that you only wanted pumper info, the standard TM flatslide is only about 289.00 but the pumper version is 400.

I have the Edelbrock on mine and I love it!!! :ride: I spent around a hour and a half getting it put on with a lot of help from my fellow TT'er "HondaXR650R" and never have had a problem. :applause: No sticking or anything, the response time is incredible and the power is great also, I guess that is why when I read the threads about the "L" only going 85mph I laugh, I've had mine well over 100. Yes, to answer the next question, I still am running stock gearing. (15-45) The Edelbrock is cheap and works great! :thumbsup:

Another vote for the Edelbrock. Installed one on my L, easy job.

It came set up perfect- all I had to do was set the idle.

They come set up from the factory for an aftermarket pipe & air box opened up.

The only drawback is no choke, but you get used to the drill. Cold starting- Crank up the idle 4~6 turns, wick the throttle a few times, and it fires right up. Warm the bike up and turn the idle back down.

Carb comes with a big idle knob attached that is easy to reach while seated on the bike.

I went on a high altitude ride last week, cranked the needle adjuster on top a few clicks leaner, bingo! External re-jetting!

Another nice thing is no flooding after a crash...

I've got the mikuni non pumper from XRs only no problems. That dial a jet on the edelbrock sure would be nice though.

I've got the edelbrock and so far so good. I'll tell you it eliminates any bogs or hiccups you might have with the stock carb and runs very smooth. I got mine for $340 and it was well worth it. The only problem I have is that the throttle assembly feels sluggish compared to the stock. When i release the throttle it takes a few seconds to spring closed and sometimes it just stops at half throttle. With the stock the spring back was much better. Any one else have this problem?

I've got the edelbrock and so far so good. I'll tell you it eliminates any bogs or hiccups you might have with the stock carb and runs very smooth. I got mine for $340 and it was well worth it. The only problem I have is that the throttle assembly feels sluggish compared to the stock. When i release the throttle it takes a few seconds to spring closed and sometimes it just stops at half throttle. With the stock the spring back was much better. Any one else have this problem?

Hey Blome! Sounds like =you may have a routing problem with that cable. Isn't the cable on the edelbrock a single cable, or is it like the stocker, a dual push pull deal?

Edelbrock is seeming to be pretty popular - but i have seen that already when looking.

anyone using the pumper mikunis? Is there going to be much difference between the 42 and 45mm?

For the Edelbrock - how did it fit? Was there an adapter needed to connect to airbox?

Great info - what else?

rob

Hey Blome! Sounds like =you may have a routing problem with that cable. Isn't the cable on the edelbrock a single cable, or is it like the stocker, a dual push pull deal?

What's up Sniper. The cable's are setup in the stock push pull fashion. I routed the cable's exactly the same as stock and I've done it several times before. I might go ahead and order a new aluminum throttle assembly. Anyone know where I can get one for a 97 Xr600R?

For the Edelbrock - how did it fit? Was there an adapter needed to connect to airbox?

No adapters needed. They give you everything and it even comes pretty much setup and tuned. It dropped right in on my bike, which is an XR600R. The top of the carb sits close to the frame which makes tuning very hard with the seat and tank on, but it beats removing the bowl and replacing jets.

anyone using the pumper mikunis? Is there going to be much difference between the 42 and 45mm?

Anyone?

I am on my 3rd highly modified "L" and had used the Mikuni flat slides from XR's only for years. I swapped to the pumper FCR and had an instant power increase. I have been using my FCR for a couple of years with no problems. I am intrigued with the Edelbrock pumper because of the diaphragm to assist with elevation changes. I was living in Boulder and would lose significant power going into the higher elevations and was really wanting to give the Edelbrock a try, but now I am in Florida and elevation changes are no longer a concern....If anyone has an Edelbrock that would like to swap for a test I am willing to give a go. For what it is worth my mods include 670 big bore with 12:1 compression, HRC cam, Black Diamond valves with Ti springs, port and polish, XR's Only exhaust (I purchased a Big Gun to try...Looking for Quieter), Big fins, etc....

What's up Sniper. The cable's are setup in the stock push pull fashion. I routed the cable's exactly the same as stock and I've done it several times before. I might go ahead and order a new aluminum throttle assembly. Anyone know where I can get one for a 97 Xr600R?

Hey Blome, I Re-routed the cables up high, rotated the throttle up, and put the cable entrance into the throttle right between the start button & kill switch. Hangup problem solved.

I'll get off my lazy butt here in a while and go out and take a pic..

a>

I did all of the "mods" to the stock carb and still wasn't happy. I then went with the Edelbrock and haven't looked back. I read all of the problems that other have with the Edelbrock but I must be doing something wrong because I haven't experienced any of them. It bolts right up with no modification to the intake or the connection to the airbox. I routed the new throttle cables the same as the stock cables and don't have any problem with a sticky throttle; opening or closing. Got mine from Barnums. Comes with new throttle cables, extra size needles (no jets to adjust), the external adjuster knob, and detailed instructions. To start mine cold, I wick the throttle 4 or 5 times and press the button. I don't have any experience with the Mikuni or the Keihin so I can't compare. Mine has the White Bros. E2 exhaust, K&N filter, desmogged, and desnorkeled.

Well, I guess my story is the same as others...messed with the stock carb but could never eliminate the off idle hesitation. I installed the Edlebrock in about an hour without drama. The only adjustment I did was for idle. I am running a BG Quiet series full system, De-snorkled, K&N filter. The only observation I can add is that if you roll off the throttle abruptly you will notice it. Response is instant, want to lift the front end, give it a twist!

I also have the Clarke 4.0 gallon tank and there were no issues/interference.

MikeH

I am on my 3rd highly modified "L" and had used the Mikuni flat slides from XR's only for years. I swapped to the pumper FCR and had an instant power increase. I have been using my FCR for a couple of years with no problems. I am intrigued with the Edelbrock pumper because of the diaphragm to assist with elevation changes. I was living in Boulder and would lose significant power going into the higher elevations and was really wanting to give the Edelbrock a try, but now I am in Florida and elevation changes are no longer a concern....If anyone has an Edelbrock that would like to swap for a test I am willing to give a go. For what it is worth my mods include 670 big bore with 12:1 compression, HRC cam, Black Diamond valves with Ti springs, port and polish, XR's Only exhaust (I purchased a Big Gun to try...Looking for Quieter), Big fins, etc....

You run 12:1 on an air cooled L???

Your mods sound like you have an R not the L.

I run the Edelbrock on my XRL. The bike has 10.25:1, Hotcam, 3 angle valve job, polish/ported, Yosh exhaust.

The bike would not run well at all with the stock carb rejetted. Switching to the Edelbrock gave instant throttle response and much more power.

I am a big fan of the FCR, I think it is the best you can buy. The Edelbrock is good, but falls short in the tuning department. The FCR is supremely tunable, which ultimately means you can either get every last once of power or screw it up completely. There is a reason that every MX bike has the FCR.

If you are after all the power you can get = FCR.

If you want to climb a mountain = Edelbrock.

MGS

Anyone?

I think the only difference is if you have a stock bike, you need the smaller carb, if the bike is ported, cams, and big bore, go bigger carb. This is only for hp though, not necessarily for "runability" or reliability. Id stick to the smaller of the two, even with w tricked out bike. Easier to jet and tune, easier to keep running and easier on fuel.

Plus, after reading this thread I think Im ordering the Edelbrock, blome, is the power difference very noticeable? Or just the fact it is easier to start and off idle snap??/ Whats the deal, fill a brotha in!