HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Juppy

Heavy duty tube

6 posts in this topic

I recently pop my tube and replaced it with a heavy duty tube. I feel like it changed the way the bike handles. Is there a big weight difference? If so is there enough to feel it?

I recently pop my tube and replaced it with a heavy duty tube. I feel like it changed the way the bike handles. Is there a big weight difference? If so is there enough to feel it?

:thumbsup: There is no way you could feel the difference in a heavy duty tube and a regular tube. Unless your last name is Reed. :ride:

was it front or rear? if it was the rear you may have put the wheel in a different spot than it was originally. also you might have reversed the tire which could change the way it bites in, and last but not least you might be running a higher or lower air pressure than you were before.

My name is not Reed, Henry, Stewart, etc., nor am I in their league, although I once held a #1 plate in the game I played. Nevertheless, I can feel the difference in HD/Non-HD tubes at either end and between 110 vs. 120mm tires on the rear.

I recall once asking for an inner tube for a 110 and having the counter person set a box up into which you would have been challenged to place a radiator cap. I said I might like to have one that was not the lightest available, and he said the only other thing he had was a "Heavy Duty" tube. I though I knew what that meant, so I said OK, and he brought out something the size of a shoe box (for big feet, too). The tube in it could have been run as a tire. There can be a very big weight difference, and it an also noticeably affect the "feel" of the tire at different air pressures.

I went to another shop and got a more nearly normal tube.

what gray said. i was running brdgestone UHD's which are probly bulletproof....but they weigh at least twice as much as the moose HD's(which i highly reccomend) i'm using now. i've not weighed them but i'll bet there is a lb difference in the rear. now you can't tell me that in a world where ounces count (especially in unsprung weight)and considering that its all on the outside edge of a rotational mass(kinda like changing FWW) that it makes no difference :thumbsup:

I put the tube in the rear tire and replaced the tire with a new one. To me it doesn't feel right. I guess it's not just my imagination other people feel the difference too.