road legal 2003 YZ450

I know this is a dumb idea, but is it possible to make a '03 YZ450 road legal?

If so, would it be terrible on pavement?

Though I realize this is totally a dirt machine, my old man wants to ride it on the road so....

Needless to say I should get a dual sport, but I really like the idea of a moto bike. Plus, this is all thats available right now, and its a really good deal.

How low-profile do these kits look?

Thanks,

Cam

I guess you might have trouble with the gearing. So you would be looking a sprocket changes at the very least. (In addition to the lights, etc, etc,)

Right, forgot about the gearing. I don't think it would be a good idea to run these engines at freeway speeds for long times though, correct or no? You would also have to add odometer.

you should talk to my friend Kelley. He had a 04 yz450 converted to street legal.Hes on thumper talk , screen name is Bones717 .. he also had a honda xr 650 he had streeted.. I dont think he liked the 4 speed tranny of the yz and rims are real pricey for street tires.. actually if you search his old posts you may find all the info your looking for. I think he sold the bike ..

Hey,

I guess it varies from state to state (province to province in my case) as to what gear you need to put on your bike. Obviously headlight and brakelight, and then I guess you need turning signals, a horn and an speedo?

Is it necessary to put new tires on for road, because then you'd have to switch when you want to hit the dirt? I guess pavement would just tear the knobs off real fast?

I think it would mostly be used for putting around town, so extended highway speeds wouldn't be a huge factor, though I'd still worry about it.

Any more input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Cam

I converted my 2000 426 and loved it. It isn't meant for long stretches at high speeds though, just shooting around town. It's definitely possible but how expensive it will get depends on your local regulations. It also ends up getting kind of expensive in maintenance costs, but I didn't mind, the added fun on the road was worth it.

Here is the main issue right now...

How the rule of no off-road vehicles on roads is upheld. I don't mean highway or town, but rather service roads and the gravel roads that make up the grid on the prairies. I hardly think that I will be stopped by a cop just because I don't have turning signals, or that he would just ask me to remove myself from the road. Afterall, I do have my drivers liscence and the bike would be registered (which is more then alot of people can say around here) I mean, most of the roads don't even have signage because they are rarely travelled.

Afterall, I do have my drivers liscence

yes, but do you have your motorcycle endorsment?

and the bike would be registered

How will it be registered? As an off-road bike? Because in order to register it as a street legal bike, you have to convert your title and pass an inspection.