Why is my YZ400F is idling too high?

Cracked/spliced hotstart hose, dryrotted carb boot, loose carb clamps, and possibly loss of the small little oring on the fuel screw can all play a role in that.

Jimbob69, thanks for tips. My old YZ has led a charmed life since new: climate controlled garage, low hours for a '99. (And this is how it repays me! I know, it's probably something I did but it's easy to pass the buck ain't it.) All the rubber parts are like new still, clamps tight, didn't mess with fuel screw. I will triple-check those things again though.

It's a really even high-idle; seems as though the slide is being physically held open. (Doesn't have a lean/uneven sound to it.) Could the needle be touching the main jet somehow? or possibly the metal-plate thing on the slide not be on just right and interfering somewhere?

I will have to dig in.

Throttle cable was just a tad frayed, so I replaced that.

I discovered the problem: I installed the plate that "nests" in the slide upside down. :ride:

It's really easy to do; it even looks correctly installed when it's upside down. MY BAD!

Getting the slide out is somewhat of a puzzle, so now I'm getting better at it . . . should be good to go now, and thanks for all your tips. ?