Bent XR600 frame

Anyone out there have advice on straightening a bent frame? I managed to take a spill last weekend. Clipped a tree at about fifty which flipped me and the bike. After completing its revolution in the air it landed heavily on the rear fender (but at least it missed me). The left side rear fender support is bent down about 2" and in maybe in about an inch. It is a nice gradual bend in the tubing right about where the support bridge is, not a kink fortunately.

Do you think I should heat the tubes before trying to bend back in shape? Any ideas how I might best get the needed leverage? Any metallurgy experts out there?

All-in-all that was about the sum of the damage to the bike other than twisted forks in the clamps which is easy to correct.

I rode home with a couple of bruised/cracked? ribs and a heavy dent in my ego. Thank heavens for good elbow and knee protection, not to mention a good lid. I don't own a roost protector so that is probably why I suffered with the ribs. Although I'm not sure, most of them look like they offer little protection in a crash. Any opinions on that too?

I'll be back riding within a few weeks. Slightly slower, but back.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Craig :thumbsup:

Any protection is better then none. Glad to hear you are OK for the most part. Another consideration is to look on e-bay for a frame. I think they go fairly inexpensively there.

Glad you survived, we used to tie the bike down on a trailer get a strong pipe the longer the more leverage and bolt it to the frame area that is bent with large muffler clamps, get out the yardstick and bend it back a little at a time, take some measurements till you get it back in shape.

Glad you survived, we used to tie the bike down on a trailer get a strong pipe the longer the more leverage and bolt it to the frame area that is bent with large muffler clamps, get out the yardstick and bend it back a little at a time, take some measurements till you get it back in shape.

This is the best method. If you don't have a trailer, you can just strap it in the back of a truck. The key is getting it held down well, so you can apply enough force to bend it back. If it's just sitting on the ground, it's hard to apply enough force. Depending on the exact place and nature of the bend, the clamps might no be necessary. I have straightened the rear of my frame with just a 2x4 before. Be careful and go slow, you don't want to kink anything and make it worse.

When you have it all back in place, take a good look at all the welds around the bent parts. If there are any cracks, it should be rewelded.

If the damage is too severe, the frame swap method is not too hard. I don't know about Arizona, but here in California the frame has the VIN number and it is the "vehicle." So be sure to do all the proper paperwork for your "new" bike.

If your helmet took a good shot, get a new one as the old is done for.

I have an 85 XR600R frame. You can email me and we can deal

If you heat it it'll weaken it but on the rear fender support thats not a big deal. Id still try what the other guys are telling you and just tye it down well and try to leverage it back into shape...