HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hartzpad

$0.25 Trailtech Vapor Mount

14 posts in this topic

I have had my Vapor mounted on my left handlebar for a few weeks now but it looks bad there and is poorly protected, but I didn't want to shell out $50 for a billet mount for a speedo which only costs $99. Also, Trailtech's billet protector mounts on top of the bolts at the top of the handlebar clamp, way too high up for my liking. So I made my own mount.

I picked up a piece of scrap sheetmetal from work (freebie) and with only a dremel tool, a dull hacksaw and a drill. I slowly and tediously cut it into a large U shape to mount between the handlebar clamps using the top two bolts so that it is mounted 1"-1.5" lower than the Trail tech mount which goes on top of the handlebar clamp. My 1/8" thick sheetmetal fits perrfectly in between the handlebar clamp and does not impede torquing the clamp down at all. I drilled two holes at the top to mount the Vapor directly to the bracket wtih the Vapor screws and bolted the whole thing down. The finished bracket doesn't look pretty because I don't have a band saw or a jig saw and it took a long time to make, but once the Vapor is mounted on it, you can't even see the bracket. I figure I used about $0.25 worth of dremel tool cutting discs.

With this homeade mount the Vapor is tucked neatly behind the front headlight shroud and is well protected by my Renthal Handlebars. It is impossible for it to be crushed if the bike lands upsidedown on the handlebars because it is below the crosspad. The mount is surprisingly very solid and it is hard to get it to flex at all when torqued down.

I'll have to get some pics up sometime this week. I love it.

Nice work. Simple and out of the way. You may consider rubber mount isolating the Vapor with washers for some added vibration protection, if you ride hard.

i have a custom mount for mine too. its just the regular Enduro model, but i like it. Its also perfect where i have it, it doenst look tacky, and it works great...

100_0847.jpg

100_0848.jpg

100_0849.jpg

i have a custom mount for mine too. its just the regular Enduro model, but i like it. Its also perfect where i have it, it doenst look tacky, and it works great...

100_0847.jpg

100_0848.jpg

100_0849.jpg

That's a nice place to mount it! Nice work!

Do your clamps still grip your bars properly?

Yes, they still torque down really tight and I can't get them to budge at all. There is slightly more than 1/8 clearance between the bar clamps if you test fit the sheetmetal in them and the sheetmetal shows no signs of compression where the clamps sandwich it.

That's a nice place to mount it! Nice work!

thanks! just like the title of this post. about $.25 lol. works great tho :thumbsup:

that's very cool. nice and simple. you might have yourself a new business with that idea. you could charge people $24.95 for that kind of work. :thumbsup::ride:

you'll have to tell us how it rides, and if you have any excessive vibration issues. i'm not sure it even matters.

you should be proud of yourself.

that's very cool. nice and simple. you might have yourself a new business with that idea. you could charge people $24.95 for that kind of work. :thumbsup::ride:

you'll have to tell us how it rides, and if you have any excessive vibration issues. i'm not sure it even matters.

I've already tortured it. I rode with it on a bunch of rocky terrain on Saturday for about 2 hours and 20 miles. No problems that I can see. If the unit dies in a year or two, I will just buy another one, at $99 for a unit with that many nice features, it is almost disposible if it needs to be.

I agree, maybe a good idea was born here. I'd be interested, but I'd prefer that it was mounted on top of the bar clam.

during a really bad crash, it is possible that the bars could move. But thats just speculation.

It seems that you did a good job.

Just rode another tough 30 miles with it tonight and it works great. Although, it shut down once but that was because the ground wire came loose, I grounded it again to the frame and I was back in business. Mounting it down by the gas filler is just too far down, hard to read at a glance when it is there.