HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luckyride

metal particles in oil filter, excessive?

11 posts in this topic

I recently was given a 02 426 and the previous owner had the cam changed and then never rode it and subseqently gave it to me. I rode it on one ride and was changing the oil and the are small metal particles in the oil filter . I felt like there was an excessicve amount. Is it possible that there could be that much "break-in" on a new cam to get metal particles?

Mine is all stock and the first time I changed the oil there was a lot of particles in it. since then there is some in it every time I cahnge the oil but not much

I'd recommend a magnetic drain plug from the TT store. There was a fair amount of fine metal stuck to it. I'll take a pic of it next time....

My '00 426 has 520 hrs on it , and there are metal particles in every oil change, runs great, had piston and rings at 150 hrs, didn't need it, original valves and clutch, so i wouldn't worry about it, BTW i change oil every 8 hrs 20-50 v-twin mobil 1. Mike

Thanks, I will keep watching it every oil change, I was suprised to see it as I have not in other bikes I have owned.

My '00 426 has 520 hrs on it

not to hijack but how the hell can you tell how many hours are on it. This probably sounds like a really stupid question but i bought my bike used from the second owner (which makes me third owner) and i'd have no clue how much it had been ridden....but i has been.

not to hijack but how the hell can you tell how many hours are on it. This probably sounds like a really stupid question but i bought my bike used from the second owner (which makes me third owner) and i'd have no clue how much it had been ridden....but i has been.

Purchase and install and hour meter. :thumbsup:

I have a bit of metal in the filter every oil change.

I think it is normal with the wet clutch and all.

It's okay if it's aluminum.

Buy a magnetic drain plug and see what steel bits if any stick to that.