metal particles in oil filter, excessive?

I recently was given a 02 426 and the previous owner had the cam changed and then never rode it and subseqently gave it to me. I rode it on one ride and was changing the oil and the are small metal particles in the oil filter . I felt like there was an excessicve amount. Is it possible that there could be that much "break-in" on a new cam to get metal particles?

Mine is all stock and the first time I changed the oil there was a lot of particles in it. since then there is some in it every time I cahnge the oil but not much

I typically have some visible particles in my oil filter too. I hope it is normal.

I'd recommend a magnetic drain plug from the TT store. There was a fair amount of fine metal stuck to it. I'll take a pic of it next time....

My '00 426 has 520 hrs on it , and there are metal particles in every oil change, runs great, had piston and rings at 150 hrs, didn't need it, original valves and clutch, so i wouldn't worry about it, BTW i change oil every 8 hrs 20-50 v-twin mobil 1. Mike

Thanks, I will keep watching it every oil change, I was suprised to see it as I have not in other bikes I have owned.

My '00 426 has 520 hrs on it

not to hijack but how the hell can you tell how many hours are on it. This probably sounds like a really stupid question but i bought my bike used from the second owner (which makes me third owner) and i'd have no clue how much it had been ridden....but i has been.

not to hijack but how the hell can you tell how many hours are on it. This probably sounds like a really stupid question but i bought my bike used from the second owner (which makes me third owner) and i'd have no clue how much it had been ridden....but i has been.

Purchase and install and hour meter. :thumbsup:

Purchase and install and hour meter. :thumbsup:

:ride: Indeed

I have a bit of metal in the filter every oil change.

I think it is normal with the wet clutch and all.

It's okay if it's aluminum.

Buy a magnetic drain plug and see what steel bits if any stick to that.