Vibration comparison between KTM 640 and 650R.

Just wondering ? if anyone knows if the 650R is much smoother motor wise then a KTM 640?

From research I found that the KTM's can vibrate so much that it stops some from purchasing one but then others insist they would not even weigh that in as a factor when purchasing! Maybe those are the real pu$$ies that it bothers more, I don't know?? The degree of vibration varies among the same machines too and on some it begins to disappear as they get more miles on.

Now I'm talking purely riding on the street because I think you would feel it less off road and the bike (my bike anyway) would be on the street 90% of the time.

:ride: Anyone ever ride or own both?

No, but I've read the same stuff about the LC4's vibes. Supposedly, it eases up after break in. Furthermore, the 640 Adventure has a strong following, so it must not be THAT bad. I think most that complain are street bike guys that buy one for a bike capable of doing dirt and street. I've always ridden vibey singles, so I don't think it would bother me as bad.

Own XR650R rode KTM 660 Rally, the 660 had done Dakar so it was run in plenty.

First thing you notice is the vibration, foot pegs mainly, high frequency vibration.

The pig is way smoother by far and will last long than the LC4 motor.

I've owned both and ridden them a bunch, well okay slightly less than 10K miles each. The KTM is definitely smoother, but every KTM LC4 has slightly different harmonics, depending on your gearing, motor wear etc. (run rear 42 tooth and your life will be much better) I never had any problem with that, and there's tricks you do like putting lead weights in your bars (and other things) if it really pisses you off, but I would comfortably ride 8 hours with no problems. Others hated the vibes, but usually they came straight from riding F4i's, not thumpers, so uh, well, you decide. I rode mine as a daily rider in NASTY freeway traffic with no problems for a year, basically the KTM is slightly smoother on the road, the XR's are slightly more twitchy at freeway speeds (75-80mph), but XR's are slightly easier to flick around off-road. Also the KTM comes stock with all the goodies you'll wind up putting on your XR. Basically the XR is a rough version of the KTM with more maintenance resistance built in. Kinda like a Toyota vs. Mercedes, they both do fine, and if you don't care you can buy 2 Toyotas for the same price and never change the oil and be fine, but don't try that on Mercedes or you'll pay a bunch at some point.

Case in point: Changing oil in XR - pull 2 drain plugs, swap a filter, fill it up. KTM - drain from several places in a specific order, then replace 2 filters, refill carefully to not overfill and blow things up, then bleed with bleed screw, then recheck, most guys take it to the dealer for an oil change.

Bottom line: They both wail, ride them both and then stick with the one you love (and can afford), everyone's different and they're all way more fun than commuting in a 4-wheel cage ?

Thanks,

Cameron

San Diego

Case in point: Changing oil in XR - pull 2 drain plugs, swap a filter, fill it up. KTM - drain from several places in a specific order, then replace 2 filters, refill carefully to not overfill and blow things up, then bleed with bleed screw, then recheck, most guys take it to the dealer for an oil change.

Thanks,

Cameron

San Diego

Geeez, all that just for an oil change?? I hope the air filter isn't the same way. In fact I think it's real easy on a KTM, NOT ?