HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
puxx

Overheated again

14 posts in this topic

well I took the piggy (06 XR 650 r uncorked no tstat orig cap) out again and she was dooin good when I was easy on her I was even on a difficult trail so on the way back I kinda started railing on her and when I looked down at my tank I thought I saw bubbles coming up well when I shut her off at the end after a good little stretch in the open road to cool her she boiled over not like totally (where there is water on the ground and all) I could just hear her bubbling then it sucked all the water out of the tank so I know it lost some as for the tstat its still in there but I removed the valve to let it be open all the time the bike is jetted one step rich to try to help this also

Any sugestions?

Are you using an iKat by any chance, there have been reports of this increases engine temps dramatically....

MikeH

Its not advisable to take a t-stat out of a cooling system because that is what slows the coolant flow down enough to allow the radiator to do its job effectively.

Its not advisable to take a t-stat out of a cooling system because that is what slows the coolant flow down enough to allow the radiator to do its job effectively.

I agree, I commute on my pig a '06 as well. It's uncorked and even in slow traffic

with the heat index at 112 it's never boiled. I have a SRC oil temp dipstick.

It usually tops out at just over 215deg F even on really hot days and

runs at about 180 on regular bush bashing "cooler" days.

What coolant are you using? maybe it's not as good as the stock stuff.

I till use the regular Honda HP 50/50 ready to use stuff... it works.

Are you by chance at high altitude? Higher altitudes cause bikes to overheat easier. If so, just go with a higher pressure cap.

Are you by chance at high altitude? Higher altitudes cause bikes to overheat easier. If so, just go with a higher pressure cap.

I think he's in colorado... sounds high to me :thumbsup:

Go here and get one of these, it'll fix the problem.

https://secure.srcinc.net/prodpage.cfm?Cat_Selected=1&SubCat_Selected=16&Product_Selected=1672&StartRow=1

and then put this in there too.

https://secure.srcinc.net/prodpage.cfm?Cat_Selected=1&SubCat_Selected=16&Product_Selected=1671&StartRow=21

I've got the 1.6 bar cap on order I will for sure get the src ones just to have them but I have the napa tstat they list in the xr650r faq from dirt rodders so I'm going to try the cap and stat this weekend and I was going to use dexcool

I've got the 1.6 bar cap on order I will for sure get the src ones just to have them but I have the napa tstat they list in the xr650r faq from dirt rodders so I'm going to try the cap and stat this weekend and I was going to use dexcool

the napa stat is good. Get one of these too:

https://secure.srcinc.net/prodpage.cfm?Cat_Selected=1&SubCat_Selected=16&Product_Selected=1678&StartRow=21

At least you'll know how hot it really is.

:thumbsup:

5280' mile hi to start and goes up from there

Yea, that's gettin' up there. This bike has a tendency to want to boil over to begin with. High altitude just makes it worse. I'm betting the cap will fix most of it. You may still boil over on occasion, but probably not enough to actually lose coolant.

I have an '00 XRR with the stock thermostat & cap. Was stuck in traffic for about 20min today in 95 degree weather with no loss of coolant at all. Guess I'm lucky. I think I'm at about 2,500 ft here in Spokane, WA but I might be off a bit. As a side note I'd be interested in what label is under that riveted on SRC badge on the rad cap. Bet it's available elsewhere for less (without the fancy badge).

Its a friggin Toyota cap if I remember the markings correctly It's been a while since I've seen a stock Toyota cap (the shops I've worked at lately all have old cars) I'm going to call on track today cause that SCR cap is a stant racing division cap that they photochoped the logo off