HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zique

Blown Head Gasket...

3 posts in this topic

I believe my 00 426 has a leaky head gasket, so I am going to get in and repair it sometime next week. My question is, since I'll have it apart, any other suggestions of what I should look for/replace and what not?

I am also thinking of replacing the piston and rings, but I like being able to get my 91 octane gas around here. BTW, I live in a small town and would have to drive at least 1 hour to get anywhere that would sell something above that. So I'm thinking the high compression stuff is out.

What do ya'll think?

Get a cam chain, piston, pin, clips, ring set, and valve springs. Take your time and do it right. You may want a machine shop to inspect your head and make sure its not warped or anything, since you have a blown gasket.

91 octane won't work with a 13.5:1 piston. I highly recommend the 13.5:1 piston, its one of the best mods I've done to mine. But, if race gas is not available to you, then you should stick with the OEM stuff. :thumbsup:

I look at how long the OEM stuff lasts, which is pretty darn good. I would stick with the OEM and stock compression for longevity and the ability to use pump gas.