HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
courtney

ktm horsepower

17 posts in this topic

if anybody else can confirm this for sure, or if you know different it would be great.

thanks anyway :thumbsup:

I would guess that 34 HP would be on the high side as most 250 cc 4 stroke MX racers barely put out 34 HP.

I used to have all this kind of info written down somewhere, but can't find it now. :ride: I'm pretty sure it was closer to 32 HP though. :thumbsup:

I know the 06' 450 exc shows 42 hp.

Are you sure? I thought it was 47/48 BHP

Just for the record HP figures are pretty much worthless except in bar chats, it is torque that you want :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

Just for the record HP figures are pretty much worthless except in bar chats, it is torque that you want :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be surprised if the 450 only put out 40/42 hp. I've been riding a stock 200EXC for a while now and yesterday I had a chance to switch with a guy riding a 450SX. I was very surprised with the lame power delivery compared to my 200 smoker. In addition, the 450 felt like a tank... big and extremely top heavy. I was glad to get back on my 200.

I also have a DRZ400S for dual sporting. It is uncorked with a full FMF exhaust. I'd be surprised if my DRZ is putting out 40 HP. In fact, I jumped on the DRZ as soon as I got home to compare. It felt just as powerful as the 450 KTM. I hope the KTM was just clapped out. :ride:

I was planning to buy a Husky TE250 next year but now I have to ride one first. I might be really disappointed by that. The smoker may have spoiled me.

It was in a comparison on line against some other bikes I found it doing a search, trust me I wish it was higher but from what I understand if you put a 525sx cam you can add another 3hp for about $300.00 with labor @ probably any ktm dealer. it's the cheapest 3hp gain you can get.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 450 only put out 40/42 hp. I've been riding a stock 200EXC for a while now and yesterday I had a chance to switch with a guy riding a 450SX. I was very surprised with the lame power delivery compared to my 200 smoker. In addition, the 450 felt like a tank... big and extremely top heavy. I was glad to get back on my 200.

I also have a DRZ400S for dual sporting. It is uncorked with a full FMF exhaust. I'd be surprised if my DRZ is putting out 40 HP. In fact, I jumped on the DRZ as soon as I got home to compare. It felt just as powerful as the 450 KTM. I hope the KTM was just clapped out. :thumbsup:

I was planning to buy a Husky TE250 next year but now I have to ride one first. I might be really disappointed by that. The smoker may have spoiled me.

noc

I have spent a little time on the 250TE, some on the KTM old engine and a little on the KTM new engine.

KTM Old engine I guessed 32 to 34 in a prior post, I just looked at JD's web site & he ran 250TE on it and it was around 32, I know the TE is stronger then KTM old engine so I am going to change my guess to 28-30 for KTM old

The KTM new engine is quite a bit stronger so I will take a wild guess at 34-35?

The TE is certainly in between, an very easy to ride, fast enough for anything your doing in "woods" type pace, very good bike yet mellow & easy to ride! If I did not have a 450TE that 250TE would be my choice.

I also have a DRZ400S for dual sporting. It is uncorked with a full FMF exhaust. I'd be surprised if my DRZ is putting out 40 HP. In fact, I jumped on the DRZ as soon as I got home to compare. It felt just as powerful as the 450 KTM. I hope the KTM was just clapped out. :thumbsup:

If you like the power delivery and handling of your 200exc, then I don't think you'll find the TE to be a good replacement. The 200exc is light and snappy. The TE isn't heavy, but it has a much more planted and stable feel, and the power is smooth and strong. Very different riding experience with each bike. I'm not nearly as comfortable on the 200exc as I am on my TE. I get tired much more quickly on my 200exc. It is a super fun bike, but it also likes to go fast and can't be ridden lazy.

R

If you like the power delivery and handling of your 200exc, then I don't think you'll find the TE to be a good replacement. The 200exc is light and snappy. The TE isn't heavy, but it has a much more planted and stable feel, and the power is smooth and strong. Very different riding experience with each bike. I'm not nearly as comfortable on the 200exc as I am on my TE. I get tired much more quickly on my 200exc. It is a super fun bike, but it also likes to go fast and can't be ridden lazy.

R

Did you do the Langston set-up on the powervalve? That makes a huge difference on the 200EXC. Also, when you refer to the TE, do you mean 250 or 450? Thanks for the feedback!