Mud around the dipstick-06 450.

First time at a muddy track and I found out the dipstick has no protection, and checking the oil is dangerous with all that mud. What are people using for protection? Will a skid plate cover that high? I have also seen a clear piece of plastic made for that area. thanks.

i just wash it before i check the oil. if i go to the track i know its got fresh oil. when i get off and its dirty i hit it with the presure washer. if i ride for a day i change it at the end of the day anyways so i never really check it besides after i cange the oil and start it back up.

Why would you want to check the oil while at the track??? Might want to think about that before the ride.

Don't mess with it while at the track. It's way too easy to drop a bunch of crap into the hole. Check your oil before you go like KK2 said.

As long as you're oil is full before you ride, no need to check it. I only check mine when everything is clean.

Based on the title of this thread.....you sound gay!!!

Mud around your dipstick!! :thumbsup:

I forgot to check it before I rode, but I shall never again! Protection for mud around the dipstick -- I have to admit I should rethink the title for someone who leans that way.

Is any sort of protection needed if I'm not around big boulders?

I forgot to check it before I rode, but I shall never again! Protection for mud around the dipstick -- I have to admit I should rethink the title for someone who leans that way.

Is any sort of protection needed if I'm not around big boulders?

I'd suggest running a full length skid plate on any bike. The front tire can kick up even a small rock at a high enough velocity to crack a case. :thumbsup:

Did you end up putting one on yours?

My devol skiddy doubles as a snow shovel in the winter :thumbsup:

Did you end up putting one on yours?

My devol skiddy doubles as a snow shovel in the winter :thumbsup:

I ordered up a WC one yesterday along with some radiator cages. Those Devol ones are made for clearing cattle off the train tracks I think.

Those WC cages look worthless....might as well use some aluminum foil. IMO of course. :ride:

I must have shot a rock off my "cattle pusher" and it made a really loud "ping". Sh1t, that sounds like an engine noise. I have never been so nervous in my life.....then I remembered that's why I bought a yami! :thumbsup:

Of more concern to me than dirt around the dip stick hole ( I carry compressed air with me in the truck) was the report from an owner here that a rock tore the plastic knob off his. Before we rode ours, I fabbed a simple stone shield out of some old plastic and zipped it to the front of the frame. It overhangs on the left side just a little. It's not really anything like strong, but it's most likely enough to slow down or deflect the spray.

Junior's been tasked with spinning up a handful of billet dipstick knobs with a lower profile once school starts up again.

my cattle pusher does the job.

Biking048.jpg

the yamaha GYTR guard covers the whole wishbone area. and uses just the 3 stock mounting holes, so you don't have any gay ass stupid brackets to keep lined up under the frame. i was also worried about the dipstick being right there after my first ride and with all the mud packed arount it, i knew with my luck i would just be asking for trouble.

Based on the title of this thread.....you sound gay!!!

Mud around your dipstick!! :ride:

Nice come back! Gay :thumbsup:

He is talking about the polycarbonate shark fin, I have one on my bike, check out my garage and PM me if you are the guy I met at piru and ill give you the info on it.