HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YaMaHa-RiDeR

pros and cons

24 posts in this topic

Only con I have on the '06 is that it gets heavy at the end of a Moto. Other than that these bikes rock.

Pros:

Excellent Ergos

Smooth strong power

Excellent frame (flex and geometry)

Amazingly good stock suspension

Pro Taper bars

Excel wheels

Great brakes

Cons:

Bottom end is a little soft but it helps keep the bike hooked up

Crappy stock front tire

Carb access can be a hassle

Pros:

Excellent Ergos

Smooth strong power

Excellent frame (flex and geometry)

Amazingly good stock suspension

Pro Taper bars

Excel wheels

Great brakes

Cons:

Bottom end is a little soft but it helps keep the bike hooked up

Crappy stock front tire

Carb access can be a hassle

Pretty much sum's it up, although carbs on Honda 's are even harder to get to I hear?

Pretty much sum's it up, although carbs on Honda 's are even harder to get to I hear?

Not true. The top motor mounts on the Yamaha make it a pain to mess with the needle. The Hondas don't have that problem. Plus you can turn the Honda carb more than you can on the Yamaha by just loosening the boot clamps.

I would have to agree with RedBeard.

BTW - what front tire do you reccomend?

Haven't experimented with the Yamaha but I just got a Maxxis SI that I need to try. I normally run Bridgestone M401A's. They work well pretty much everywhere, from mud to silt to loam, blue groove, whatever.

Haven't experimented with the Yamaha but I just got a Maxxis SI that I need to try. I normally run Bridgestone M401A's. They work well pretty much everywhere, from mud to silt to loam, blue groove, whatever.

How do the bridgies hold up? My 756 is gone after a couple rides on a hard pack track. I ride all sort os tracks though...sand...loam....mud....concrete (aka hardpack)....blue groove.....

How do the bridgies hold up? My 756 is gone after a couple rides on a hard pack track. I ride all sort os tracks though...sand...loam....mud....concrete (aka hardpack)....blue groove.....

They hold up pretty well. The 402A series which is the 120/80-19 has harder rubber compound on the center lugs for better wear while the outer lugs are softer for better lean angle traction.

I like the 401 I'm using on the front of the '03. Better traction, and a wider transition between stuck and unstuck.

We've got a D952 on the front of the '06 right now, and it's worked great in everything we've encountered. We haven't played in the mud yet, though.

And I haven't had the 952 on the '03, or the 401 on the '06, so it's a little hard to compare.

They hold up pretty well. The 402A series which is the 120/80-19 has harder rubber compound on the center lugs for better wear while the outer lugs are softer for better lean angle traction.

I seemed to get the whole tire sizing confused....how does a 110/90 compare to the 120/80 that you run? That 402A sounds good, but do the side knobs hold up....I have torn a lot of knobs off my michelin 's in the past (M12).

I seemed to get the whole tire sizing confused....how does a 110/90 compare to the 120/80 that you run? That 402A sounds good, but do the side knobs hold up....I have torn a lot of knobs off my michelin 's in the past (M12).

The lugs hold up good. The 120/80 is pretty much the same height as a 110/90 but it's a bit wider.