HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baron Von Beard

WC Radiator cages?

9 posts in this topic

I just ordered up a set and wonder if you guys have tried them out and if they are as rock solid as they advertise.

Red - Sorry, I mean Von! I just installed a set, they are very, very solid but offer no frontal puncture protection. I also installed a set of Devols on my brothers 06 250F and they did offer frontal puncture protection but felt like tin foil compared to the WC cages. I am happy with the WC's because I ride mostly track where side impacts are the most prevalent, but trail riders may have different priorities.

I'm track only and from what I've seen the braces don't do anything for side impacts so these look like the ticket. The stock front guards should protect the front of the radiators just fine. Do the cages look like they'll prevent twist as well?

I'm track only and from what I've seen the braces don't do anything for side impacts so these look like the ticket. The stock front guards should protect the front of the radiators just fine. Do the cages look like they'll prevent twist as well?

In my opinion they will prevent a twist top over bottom or bottom over top, but Yamaha designed the rads to flex front to back a little in a semi rigid mount. The WC cages do have rubber stoppers on them to try and keep some front to back flex, which I think is a good thing, but the cages are so stout that they really stiffen that front to back flex up and they become almost solid. The WC's took much longer to install than the Devols because you have to trim the stock louvers to fit around the support bars but its a piece of cake. I have never seen a design close to the WC's but I think you will like them because they seem so solid! But only a big nasty will prove it!

I just smashed my left side radiator in a big nasty high side slam dunk with the original WC braces in place. I like the idea of the new WC cages and want them! Where to get?

I put some WC cages on as well as a glide plate on Saturday and I'm glad I did. I managed to lose the front end around a fast sweeper within the first three laps on Saturday night. Then I dumped it again in a left hand turn so both sides got a workout. The cages are as solid as can be. I hit the ground pretty hard and there was no damage to the radiators whatsoever. I destroyed my brand new spider grips :ride: but I guess that's why I bought two sets. I also managed to bend my clutch lever over my fingers, these levers must be made out of lead or something. I couldn't beleive I did it and didn't break my fingers. Anyway, I highly recommend the cages. These things are tough! :thumbsup:

I put some WC cages on as well as a glide plate on Saturday and I'm glad I did. I managed to lose the front end around a fast sweeper within the first three laps on Saturday night. Then I dumped it again in a left hand turn so both sides got a workout. The cages are as solid as can be. I hit the ground pretty hard and there was no damage to the radiators whatsoever. I destroyed my brand new spider grips :applause: but I guess that's why I bought two sets. I also managed to bend my clutch lever over my fingers, these levers must be made out of lead or something. I couldn't beleive I did it and didn't break my fingers. Anyway, I highly recommend the cages. These things are tough! :thumbsup:

I went down hard without any rad cages and I'm lucky their still solid, but I always tear grips when I fall...but I only fell 2 times so I guess it's not all that bad. :applause: My clutch lever is also tweaked from the falls, time for a ASV. :ride:

I installed cages and trimmed shrouds. Now seems to be wider at shroud and my boot hooks in end of shroud. Any one else have a problem.