What is the difference between snow and MX goggles?

Hey guys

I cant believe no one has asked this before (I searched long and hard), but what really prevents me from using my snow goggles with an MX helmet?

Seriously, I am out buying gear right now and trying to save money where I can. I have a good snowboarding background and lots of goggles already that I wouldnt mind donating to the new helmet (when it comes ? ). I pick up my bike this weekend by the way (old DR350 for trail riding and some street use)

Thanks

Hey whaddaya know, that was my first post...

I take it then that its mainly the venting and sweat-wicking that seperates them? Or is it actual fit from the helmet sticking out from your face too?

Pitscar--as a poor college kid in your same position, use the snow goggles. I have all of my riding career, over 5 years, and I can honestly say it doesnt make much difference. If you are used to being careful and keeping your snow goggles from fogging, you'll be fine. I use cheap pairs, clear lenses, because they will get badly scratched eventually and you'll have to replace them. They fit fine inside the helmet. I've used both tinted oakley O frames (bad for dense woods), and currently a $20 pair of clear Scotts.

Snow goggles work fine, so go ahead and use em.

But, in the long run, go ahead and drop a few duckets on some higher end goggles. Like Dwight said, the benifints are usualy worth it and, after the initial purchase, you should be able to get a year or 2 out of the frames.

This way you only have to replace lenses a few times a year(or more if you're anal about scratches), which run around $10 give or take, instead of spending $20-30 on lower end goggles just as often.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I have about 8 pairs of snow goggles right now, 4 of which are garbage (well, they work good, but they're sacrificeable and super cheap) so I'll be using those for the time being:) Really good to know.

I had a friend who wore snow goggles while riding his dual sport around and a rock came off a truck went through the goggle and struck him in the eye (I'll try and upload the pic later). The Dr and many others had never seen something like that before so it made me wonder if MX goggles have better impact resistance then snow goggles ... after all, you don't see many rocks coming off the back end of your buddies skis/snowboard at 60mph.

Just a thought.

I had a friend who wore snow goggles while riding his dual sport around and a rock came off a truck went through the goggle and struck him in the eye (I'll try and upload the pic later). The Dr and many others had never seen something like that before so it made me wonder if MX goggles have better impact resistance then snow goggles ... after all, you don't see many rocks coming off the back end of your buddies skis/snowboard at 60mph.

Just a thought.

This was my main concern when asking the question - however, there seems to be little information out there about this.

I assume any goggle with a lens that is interchangeable will be susceptible to this. Browsing even the individual manufacturer websites, no one says anything about impact resistant lens's - just scratch resistant. Makes me a bit hesitant.

Oh, I've got a nice stiff tree branch right in the face a couple times and the goggle definitely saved my eyes ? (snowboarding) Enough to knock me head over heels backwards, but not enough to knock a lens out. I imagine a 90MPH missle like a rock off a truck tire is a different story though!