What's up with the XT 600 DS

Was this bike any good? are parts still available for early 90s models? How do they rate next to a Honda XR600? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I know the 80's XT was fairly decent in terms of dirt use, but in the 90's they made more street oriented changes(more like a KLR).It depends on the year.

My ridding buddy used to have 90' xt600 and I had a 04' klr 650. We used to flog the hell out of them. Hopefully he will see this and post his impressions. I rode the xt a few times and can tell you compared to a new wr it is about twice as heavy, half the power and about the same size gas tank. But There is almost nothing we do now with my yz and his wr that we couldn't do then.

I had a 1990 XT. Bullet proof engine. He hit the nail on the head, "twice as heavy, half the power."

I used to own a 1990 xt600 until I bought my 06 wr450. The XT is a very dependable bike and parts are still available but you have to order everything. It does great on gas (about 130 miles per tank). I rode that bike like it was a motorcross bike on the trails. My riding buddy and I would ride 200 to 300 miles per day in the trails. The bike was easy to work on. I had to do some trail fixes and the tool kit that comes with it worked everytime. The bad thing about that bike is that it does not like sand. You have to stay on the throttle and fly threw it if you want to keep the bike upright. For just trail riding on hard pack dirt or road riding it does great. Just do not expect to get to crazy with it because it does not have the power. I sold it to a guy I work with and he rides it to work everyday and has never had a problem with it. I would buy a wr instead. There is no comparison between the two bikes.

Back from the dead, just bought a 90 600xt and cannot seem to find much about them.

Mine is just at 7k miles, beautiful shape, got it for $1000

Took it out this weekend to see how it does and was very happy, though the weight, power and sand comments were spot on.

Anyone else have details, specs, documentation to share on this bike?

90yamaha600xt-sm.jpg

Back from the dead, just bought a 90 600xt and cannot seem to find much about them.

Mine is just at 7k miles, beautiful shape, got it for $1000

Took it out this weekend to see how it does and was very happy, though the weight, power and sand comments were spot on.

Anyone else have details, specs, documentation to share on this bike?

90yamaha600xt-sm.jpg

wow, that thing looks like its in great shape for a 21 year old bike.... it is also alot more modern looking than I invisioned one to be.... how does it cruise at 70mph... you think you can run highway on that bike just fine?