Oil change trick - frame screen

Is there a trick to take the screen out of the frame? Got a new 06 WR450 and I had a heck of a time trying to take if off. In the end I got frustrated and just left if this time. :ride:

BTW, found this site by fluke and have learned a ton of usefull information regarding the WR. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Ante

Yes, there's a trick. Use a 25mm six-point deep socket and a long drive handle, and have someone hang onto the bike.

Mine was pretty easy to undo, but getting the hose off first wass another matter, so I left it on rather than do damage, undid the other end and undid it along with the screen if you get what I mean. :thumbsup:

Grayracer.

Congrats on 7000 posts! :ride::thumbsup:

good call on the 25mm deep socket :thumbsup:

my problem is how the heck does the hose come off

Ante

I carefully pry the hose off with a wide-blade screwdriver or putty knife before removing the frame filter.

Since the frame filter apparently only needs cleaning occasionally, I usually just drain that area by disconnecting the tube that leads down from it at the lower attachment point on the engine case.

I carefully pry the hose off with a wide-blade screwdriver or putty knife before removing the frame filter.

Since the frame filter apparently only needs cleaning occasionally, I usually just drain that area by disconnecting the tube that leads down from it at the lower attachment point on the engine case.

If you want to remove the feed line from the frame screen fitting, the easiest way is to first remove the feed line at the engine case so that the line can move down and away without bending and or fighting back.

The screen should be cleaned/inspected once when the bike is new (or new to you) and once after any major engine repair and/or failure, and otherwise about once a year. The screen is too coarse to actually do any real filtering, but will keep chunks of gaskets or sealer or spiders large enough to clog the line or damage the pump, and that is its primary purpose. It's just exactly the same as the pickup screen in the crankcase in a wet sump system (or the or the one for the return circuit in a WR/YZF, for that matter). How often do you clean those? The only reason the feed screen in your WR is recommended for cleaning is because it can be.

The drain plug in the frame is so close to the bottom of the frame tube that you'll only get about 20cc more oil out by draining the line, but the only harm it will do is take up your time and make a mess.

Grayracer.

Congrats on 7000 posts!

Look at that. I don't know whether to sh*t or wind my watch. :ride:

I guess I'll have a beer. :thumbsup:

over 7,000 posts - is that even possible ??