Any way to make an 02 426 feel lighter turn better

OK...Besides buy an 06. Sorry, some of us just can't afford it. But, I would like to figure out a way to make the bike a little less portly. Actually, the dry weight isn't bad but I think it's just top heavy.

How much cash have you got to spend? You can get lower radiators, but they're not cheap!

Ride it more. The more you ride it, the less you notice it. :thumbsup:

Make sure that your sag is correct in the rear and try raising your forks up 5mm.

dude. i had yz400f. its center of gravity is high. you just need to ride it and place faith in the bike. this is what i did. when it felt like i was going to fall.......i really wasnt. just place faith in your bike man!

I just did a 450 conversion to mine, changed the tank, plastics, and the other required parts. I have to admit I did it for pure cosmetics but it does seem to handle a little better. I had always been hesitant to get it leaned over but I find it is a little easier to throw it into berms now-I still need a lot of practice though :thumbsup:

Get your suspension valved by someone like Race Tech. ..it helps majorly. Also try running the 90/100-21 fronts...they seem to help quite a bit. Lastly just practice, practice, practice. Remember to wieght the outside of the bike and keep the elbow up.

Biggest thing I have noticed is it's just a "feel" thing. What i mean by that it just feels like its not turning good, the front tire may "feel" like its pushing but you are not actually falling. The best thing i can say is get up on the tank and keep the gas on. The second you let off the gas around a corner is when you fall. Keep it gassed to make it "feel" like it will fall, it wont fall man just rail it. :thumbsup:

the older 98-02 yz4xxf's take a lot of body english to get em to corner quick, gotta get WAY up on the tank for turns if ur riding fast and hard. it makes them feel much lighter and more nimble.

Make sure that your sag is correct in the rear and try raising your forks up 5mm.

By raise the forks do you mean slip the fork tube up in the triple clamp or down. I may give this a try.

Hey guys, I love the bike and don't want a red sticker so I will probably just learn to deal with it. But, if there are easy things I can do then why not.

Thx.

I bought a 01 426 last summer. It was my first dirt bike and I let a buddy ride it. One of the first things he mentioned was that the steering head seemed to be slightly sticking and it wasn't something that I was experieneced enough to notice.

When I got home I pulled the steering stem apart and the bearings were beat. I ordered replacement bearings and I definately can tell the difference.

By raise the forks do you mean slip the fork tube up in the triple clamp or down. I may give this a try.
Sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamp will steepen the effective rake angle a bit, improving your low speed steering, but it will be at the expense of high speed stability.
Sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamp will steepen the effective rake angle a bit, improving your low speed steering, but it will be at the expense of high speed stability.

Exactly right...doing this effectively drops the front of the bike 5mm. You will see a line on the forks when you do this and I set that line flush with the top of the triple clamp. Keep in mind when doing this that you are working with aluminum...be sure to use a torque wrench. I think the top bolts torque at 17 ft/lbs and the bottom at 14 ft/lbs. :ride:

The cool thing about this is that if you don't don't like it then you can put it back the way it was. :thumbsup:

Ditto the comment about sitting up on the tank. I had this bike and while it did not drop in to a turn as easily as an 06 CRF450 it would turn. First off get good tires. I doubt you still have the original Dunlpp 739 of the front but if you do trash it now. I liked the 756 on this bike. I put on a fresh set right before I sold the bike and every turn I leaned over farther and farher and was easily turning inside of my buddy (who is a better rider) on his 04 CRF450.

Sit on the high side of the seat up on the tank and push the bike over while putting your weight on the outside peg. It sill stick and turn. I do believe GYT-R used to make some after market clamps that made this bike a little more responsive.

Keep it coming guys. This is good stuff and I'm going to try most of it. I would take a lot to do an 06 conversion on the plastics but I may do that later as well.

How much did that conversion really help with the weight (feeling of weight) factor?

Thx

what year 426 do you have? If you have the 00 and 01 you can use the ZipTyMagic link. the 02 you can use the Storm link (02 they changed the swingarm, shock and linkage parts).

After that, set the sag. revalve the front and rear suspension and then play with the fork height in the clamps.

Hey guys, I love the bike and don't want a red sticker so I will probably just learn to deal with it. But, if there are easy things I can do then why not.

Thx.

What is the "red sticker"? Is this a California thing?

It's total Kalifornia crap. Any race bikes after 02 cannot be ridden in many state areas because they have been deemed red sticker by environmentalist wackos. I think it's only the the Republick of Kalifornia though. Got to love Boxer and Fienstien. They just keep taking our rights away and we just keep voting for them like a bunch of morons.

offset triple clamps did wonders for my 05's turning ability,i also keep the chain as short as it can possibly go making for a shorter wheelbase. i run the forks 5 mm up in the clamps any more and things get unstable. a little more rebound damping can also help :thumbsup:

I raised the forks 5 mm and changed the sag from who knows what to 105 mm. It made a huge difference. Now I'm thinking of going to 7 mm on the forks and say 98 on the sag.

Anyone had a problem with a 7mm fork setting. The 5mm setting seemed to be fine at around 60 mph. I did notice it being sharper turning on the trails though which I liked.

I ride with a guy who has a KDX 220 and it's like a mountain bike on steroids. It's so light that it really makes my 426 seem beastly. However, the KDX will beat the crap out of you while your are just cruising along on the portly 426. I also have a Clark desert tank so getting up on the tank on tight turns is just not a possibility. Or, you would at least be much less of a man if you every really did it. I mosty ride enduro though so I suppose thats fine.