HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SGRider

99 WR400 running lean & hot

6 posts in this topic

I have a '99 WR400 that has just started running very lean and hot... in fact the exhaust header turns orange it is so hot and it melted all my plastic over the muffler. It will idle, but it bogs down and stalls when you give it gas. I have had it in the shop a few times and they say that everything associated with the fuel delivery system and carburation is OK, but it still won't run. Now they want to tear into the engine to try to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas before I drop a few more bennys on this or should I just got my losses and upgrade to a new 450?

Sure sounds it is running lean. This can only be from not enough fuel or too much air. Have you checked for air leakage between the carb and the head?

I have a '99 WR400 that has just started running very lean and hot... in fact the exhaust header turns orange it is so hot and it melted all my plastic over the muffler. It will idle, but it bogs down and stalls when you give it gas. I have had it in the shop a few times and they say that everything associated with the fuel delivery system and carburation is OK, but it still won't run. Now they want to tear into the engine to try to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas before I drop a few more bennys on this or should I just got my losses and upgrade to a new 450?

I have exactly the same problem with 2000 WR400F. What was the solution to this problem? Can anyone help?:cheers: