HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
koondawg

hole above header gasket???

10 posts in this topic

I noticed my bike leaking oil today on a hot ride. Finally noticed it is coming from a hole right above the intake gasket.

What is this hole?

Should something be in it?

Thanks,

Sounds like you blew the decomp plug out of the head. Common problem - do a search and you'll find plenty of info. On the 03/04's Yamaha put a rubber plug in the head to block off the hole that was used for the manual decomp on earlier models. Do yourself a favor and replace it with one of these:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Decompression_Plug_p/qmr-03dpb.htm

Also check the crankcase vent tube to make sure it's not blocked.

Sounds like you blew the decomp plug out of the head. Common problem - do a search and you'll find plenty of info. On the 03/04's Yamaha put a rubber plug in the head to block off the hole that was used for the manual decomp on earlier models. Do yourself a favor and replace it with one of these:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Decompression_Plug_p/qmr-03dpb.htm

Also check the crankcase vent tube to make sure it's not blocked.

I was thinking the same deal, but read his was on the intake side? I built a tab to hold my decomp plug in place after reading the horror stories in here on it.

I was thinking the same deal, but read his was on the intake side?

Yeah at first I thought that too but noticed the thread title said exhaust side so figured it had to be the decomp hole. The TT plug does a nice job and the price isn't too out of line.

Yeah at first I thought that too but noticed the thread title said exhaust side so figured it had to be the decomp hole. The TT plug does a nice job and the price isn't too out of line.
OK, I think it does appear to be exhaust and his second reply clarified it. PBDBlue is right, decomp plug. Be glad you found it now, other way was to notice it after the oil catches on fire on the exhaust or engine starves for oil. I think the TT Store sells a nice aluminum one to replace the rubber one too.

yea, sorry for the confusion. late nights these days.

Decomp plug on the way.

Thanks fella's,

have a round on me:)

Cheers!