Anyone try XR'sOnly replacement tail light?

So I'm finally tired of my big clunky dual-sport brake/tail light banging around back there. ? I've taken off the whole under fender attachment that holds the light and the plate. I've put the plate on top of the fender and just going w/out a brake light right now. I would just keep it this way if I really only rode forest roads, but I do occasionally hit the pavement (busy road actually) to get to a riding area. I know it's not DOT legal, but if my present tail light also functioned as a brake light I'd feel safe enough regarding rear-enders and take my chances with the area police.

XR'sOnly has a tail/brake light unit that just replaces the existing tail light for $24.95. It looks like what I want. Anyone ever try it?

Thanks,

So I'm finally tired of my big clunky dual-sport brake/tail light banging around back there. ? I've taken off the whole under fender attachment that holds the light and the plate. I've put the plate on top of the fender and just going w/out a brake light right now. I would just keep it this way if I really only rode forest roads, but I do occasionally hit the pavement (busy road actually) to get to a riding area. I know it's not DOT legal, but if my present tail light also functioned as a brake light I'd feel safe enough regarding rear-enders and take my chances with the area police.

XR'sOnly has a tail/brake light unit that just replaces the existing tail light for $24.95. It looks like what I want. Anyone ever try it?

Thanks,

Thats a good idea!:ride: Thats what I want to do. I hate the looks of that long black extendo fender/plate holder/brake light contraption. How did you mount the plate on top of the fender?

Thanks!?

I had to drill one more hole in the fender since the existing holes didn't quite match up. The plate has a nice plastic backing that bolts onto the fender with flush pan head bolts so the plate is flat against it. The XR fender is so wide that the plate only sticks out a tiny bit on each side. It's not anymore ghetto than the KTM guys that rotate the plate vertical. Johnny Law could actually still read my plate if he needed to. My blinkers are already flush so I'm not really DOT legal anyway. Still more official looking than the KTMs out there though. I would prefer to have a brake light anyway if just for the dusty trails on busy Poker Runs. I know a brake light has kept me from riding up a guy's back more than once.

Here's the bike when it still had the dual-sport attachment. I'll try to get a pic w/out.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=20077

I had to drill one more hole in the fender since the existing holes didn't quite match up. The plate has a nice plastic backing that bolts onto the fender with flush pan head bolts so the plate is flat against it. The XR fender is so wide that the plate only sticks out a tiny bit on each side. It's not anymore ghetto than the KTM guys that rotate the plate vertical. Johnny Law could actually still read my plate if he needed to. My blinkers are already flush so I'm not really DOT legal anyway. Still more official looking than the KTMs out there though. I would prefer to have a brake light anyway if just for the dusty trails on busy Poker Runs. I know a brake light has kept me from riding up a guy's back more than once.

Here's the bike when it still had the dual-sport attachment. I'll try to get a pic w/out.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=20077

Cool looking bike! Thanks for the pic. I do wanna see t without the holder. Thats a huge tank! I like the flush mount blinkers although I did not know that they were not DOT legal. I was looking for some flush mount ones myself.

It took 4 months, 4 emails, and 7 phone calls to get the stuff I ordered from XR's Only. Several others on TT have had similar bad experiences. The one I got from Baja Designs costs $60 but I got it in 3 days. Check out my XR650L in "My Garage" to see what it looks like. If interested, go to the URL below and select Tail lights.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/mainframe2.aspx?content=

It took 4 months, 4 emails, and 7 phone calls to get the stuff I ordered from XR's Only. Several others on TT have had similar bad experiences. The one I got from Baja Designs costs $60 but I got it in 3 days. Check out my XR650L in "My Garage" to see what it looks like. If interested, go to the URL below and select Tail lights.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/mainframe2.aspx?content=

Hey jbird what rear fender did you use for the conversion, what brand is it and how much modification was needed for install? Thanks man

Thanks,

Are you talking about the four strokes only tail light? Looks like the light off of a 650R. I have had that one also and it wasn't very good either. LED is the way to go.

Hey jbird what rear fender did you use for the conversion, what brand is it and how much modification was needed for install? Thanks man

Not sure if it's the same one goblin used, but it's a Maier I got from Dennis Kirk. The only modification I had to do was relieve the lip that hangs down on the back of the fender. I used a Dremel tool with a small sanding drum to cut out the lip so it wouldn't block the tail light. Otherwise, it just bolts on to the stock mounting points. The fender is actually listed for an XR600R. A lot of the XR600R parts will fit the XR650L without modification. CeMoto makes a rear fender that looks like a standard Honda CR rear fender and it will mount up without modification also. With the CeMoto, you don't have the lip to relieve but the plastic is more dull and noticeable if you are concerned about looks. Regardless which fender you choose, you'll have to drill holes to hold the tail light assembly on. Easiest way is to mount the fender, use some clamps to hold the tail light assembly in place and drill both at the same time. If you put a bolt, washer and nut on the first drilled hole. It helps to hold things in place to drill the other 3. If your bike is plated, you'll have to attach a plate holder to the BD tail light assembly unless you want to drill holes through the plate to hold it on (would look cheesy and may not be legal).

I got one of those tailights from XR's Only and it was total crap. Blew the bulb right away, then the socket broke off inside the light. I ended up going with the Baja Designs LED light, and the SRC fender brace. I wasn't happy about spending the $$$, but now it is totally solid and reliable, and I don't have to think about it anymore. Yay.

Peter

Good feedback on the light. I bought an Eibach spring from XRsOnly recently and had relatively good luck, but Eibach is solid. The light sounds like another story. I'll avoid that one, especially considering XRxOnly's consistent ability to piss people off.

I've also thought about using the wiring from my Baja Designs light (Luxor is the name on the actual lense) in the stock tail-light. I haven't even opened both up to see the logistics. If that doesn't work I guess I'll spring for the BD LED setup. They've reduced the amount of plastic they use on the assembly and the LED has to be much lighter than my old unit. The CRF470X and 450EXC both featured in this month's Dirt Bike both sport BD LED units and look very nice.

Thanks again