HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dustin_Mabro

Still won't start

14 posts in this topic

Ok, i've search and searched and asked questions for the last month and still can't get it right. My '01 yz426 won't start cold and hasn't been really ridden since April :thumbsup:. I've checked the valves...ok, put a new choke in because it didn't seem to want to work properly cleaned the carb. I'm thinking my next try is a new starter jet any suggestions on what size? Also the hotstart seems to pop in to easily, if i just kick the bike with force it already pops in, should i possibly swap that out as well?

Thanks guys :ride:

push start? can you do that with those bikes? and do you have fresh premium gas? and are you getting good spark?

Is the hot start plunger stuck? Remove the plastic nut on the carb to see

-

i had the hot start plunger out completely last time i cleaned the carb and it seemed fine. it doesn't stay out...which isn't a problem cause i can't get the bike started to get it hot :thumbsup:

i measured em each three times....i was really nervous about doing it myself cause i had never done it and had to go buy feeler gauges but it all seemed fine

You wouldn't need a new starter jet, but you might need to clear it. It could have varnished over while it sat.

Verify your spark, then clean out the carb.

i know i'm getting spark, just now how much. i have no way to test that...which i want to get ontop of. As for jetting a guy at my local parts shop says he has one similar with the same pipe on it and he runs stock jetting. where i have jetting for aftermarket piping...so i think i may re do that as well....start over i guess

thanks dudes

If you have had the carb apart make sure that you replaced the plate on the slide in the correct orientation. It fits both ways (the hole should be at the bottom) and apparently is a common problem. So common that I thought I would never do it myself until I didn't pay enough attention this week when I cleaned my carb and then couldn't get the bike to run.

I didn't check your previous posts so maybe this problem has already been addressed.

If you have had the carb apart make sure that you replaced the plate on the slide in the correct orientation. It fits both ways (the hole should be at the bottom) and apparently is a common problem. So common that I thought I would never do it myself until I didn't pay enough attention this week when I cleaned my carb and then couldn't get the bike to run.

I didn't check your previous posts so maybe this problem has already been addressed.

no it hasn't been addressed, thanks

check ignition coil.......once my bike wouldn't start, i went over everything then decided to take ingnition coil off, disconnect the connection clean it and reconnect tape it up and water proof it adn its started right after that.......

exIT, good call, I had the same issue, pointed out by Burned, the TT jetting expert. I was able to get it to run by having the idle speed set up and I also had a #50 pilot jet in it. Might be a quick test in there, turn up your idle speed and richen the pilot circuit, see what happens, if it starts and runs, then take it apart to fix properly.

well i got her to start and she's runnin like a dream...i've one happy pappy to be able to ride again.

but now..... :thumbsup: i'm spewing oil all over the place, it seems to be shotting up from the top of the engine because it's on the underside of the gas tank and runs down the side.....

atleast my new chain is well lubricated. what do you think it is...i remember double checking everything and making sure it was tight