how much horsepower?

XR650R uncorked ~45HP

XR650L uncorked ~36HP

CRF450X uncorked~45HP

The difference is in the power curve. The XR's make ALOT more torque and HP on the low end and max out on revs at around 8000RPM, peak HP on an XR is made at around 5-6000RPM.

The CRF's make much less torque on the bottom, and run much higher RPM's. Peak HP on a CRF is made well beyond 6000RPM, I would *guess* in the 8-10k RPM range.

XR650R uncorked ~45HP

XR650L uncorked ~36HP

CRF450X uncorked~45HP

The difference is in the power curve. The XR's make ALOT more torque and HP on the low end and max out on revs at around 8000RPM, peak HP on an XR is made at around 5-6000RPM.

The CRF's make much less torque on the bottom, and run much higher RPM's. Peak HP on a CRF is made well beyond 6000RPM, I would *guess* in the 8-10k RPM range.

Out of all the magazine articles I've read, I've never seen the 650R rated below 50HP. The highest I remember was 56HP uncorked.

I wish I wouldn't have sold my '01; it had freakish top speed.

how much horse power does a xr650 have... are they as fast as a crf450x.. are they good trail bikes

Thats a good question! I have wondered that myself because I am currently trying to figure out what to get, an XR650R or CRF450X. I am not sure of why to pick one over the other. I know XR's are reliable and I know that the 450X's have had trouble with burning oil and tranny problems but the different type of power they have over the XR maybe worth it. I dunno! I am hoping to read other opnions on why to choose one bike over the other.?

The CRF is definitely a more race oriented machine, that can be ridden on an MX track without killing yourself. Great power, excellent handling/suspension, light and thin and E-start. Downsides are maintenance and reliability as with any race tuned motor.

The XR's are more play bikes. Heavier, wider, not as nimble. However, they are virtually indestructable and will almost run forever. They also make great dual sports as they can be geared up and have no problem on the street, even long trips.

They are two totally different bikes.

As for HP on the XR650R, those high HP #'s are at the crank, not the rear wheel. A 680cc big bore, with lumpy cam, oversized valves, full exaust and tuned aftermarket carb barely make ~58HP. Stock uncorked bikes are ~45HP, maybe up to ~48 AT THE REAR WHEEL.

XR650R uncorked ~45HP

XR650L uncorked ~36HP

CRF450X uncorked~45HP

That does leave one important part out of the equation, though: weight. A CRF450X weighs in at around 260 pounds. The 650 is pushing 300 lbs. That's quite a handful to muscle around on tight trails, and the bike isn't very happy under those conditions. It likes big wide open spaces. For tighter riding, the CRF will serve you much better.

That does leave one important part out of the equation, though: weight. A CRF450X weighs in at around 260 pounds. The 650 is pushing 300 lbs. That's quite a handful to muscle around on tight trails, and the bike isn't very happy under those conditions. It likes big wide open spaces. For tighter riding, the CRF will serve you much better.

Dry weight on my XR600 is 271, thats not much heavier than honda's advertised dry weight of it's other bikes.

I would bet my XR600R is about 35 at the rear wheel up where I live which is at 7420ft above sea level. Man, somethimes I wish I still lived in Monterey Ca again! But if it werent for the damned politics of the Republik of Kalifornia.....Id still be there....some things never change!

Oh, and I saw a HRC Baja XR680 on a website they claim is 72 hp at the rear wheel. Now all you guys can go apeshit over that one! It does look real trick, but 72 rwhp? Yeah it is a 680, and Im sure cams, porting, ballanced, a trick carb...but 72 rwhp!