Security

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered recently so here goes ...

A friend of mine recently traded his well worn '03 WR250 for a brand new '06 WR450. We performed all of the usual mods, + bashplate, pipe etc and we had a ride planned for Saturday. I received a call on Friday afternoon from him saying that he was unable to join us - i assumed it was due to the inclement weather and told him to grow some balls - he then informed me that his bike was stolen that afternoon around midday from his locked garage whilst he was at work. It wasn't in his possession for more than 10 days in total and had less than 200klm's on the digital speedo.

He took all of the usual precautions inc. chain, padlock, deadbolt on the door etc and fortunately his bike was insured. The point is that a thief can and will pretty much steal anything if he really intent on doing so - all we can do is make it as difficult and time consuming for him as possible.

My question is has anyone out there come up with a device so difficult, complicated or dangerous that they have been able to discourage a potential theft of their motorcycle ?

Of course catching someone in the act of doing it would be a bonus and I'm sure that the police would be called .. eventually !!!!

Thieves will eventually get their prize, don't make it easy. Insurance is a must, take pictures of any aftermarket parts/mods for possible claims.

Pour cement and anchor a security bar in the garage floor for a heavy duty chain with a rated padlock. Also get a rotor/rim lock. Commonly sold for street bikes, forces thieves to lift the bike. Best option is get a mean king sheppard and put his bowl by your bike!

BIG Chain and Floor mounted U-Bolt security to slow them down and also set your shed/garage up with a motion sensor routed to inside and outside alarm. Also fit a Xena Disc lock with 110db motion alarm. They work and if you forget to disable them they let you know in a hurry - you better have your keys and codes handy!

?

I use padlocks on both rotors (matched key) so that the entire bike would have to be lifted at once to move it - a $10 solution for lower risk areas. A motion-alarm sounds valuable for high risk areas.

Insurance is cheap - get it!

City West Yamaha - Melbourne

you think it may have something to do with it ?

I never give out my home address to shops, for bikes, tv's, stereos, etc, I have a block of land in the bush as my home address (it's on my licence as well), that way if any suss employees want to knock my gear off............well good luck finding the place anyway.

Not saying city west are implicated in anyway, just that I'm careful when i fill out warrenty cards etc (also have a PO Box)

I never give out my home address to shops, for bikes, tv's, stereos, etc, I have a block of land in the bush as my home address (it's on my licence as well), that way if any suss employees want to knock my gear off............well good luck finding the place anyway.

Not saying city west are implicated in anyway, just that I'm careful when i fill out warrenty cards etc (also have a PO Box)

What sponge guts said ......... Hi Greg ?

I know of a couple of dodgy dealers in Sydney, I just wandered..