Just finished adding an Oil Cooler for WR450

After a hard week of testing in Idaho, I will look at tucking the lines in with some 90 degee elbows coming out of the cooler to tuck in the exposed lines completely behind the radiator guards.

As far as the custom mounting bracket I think I can talk Brian of Unabiker into making them as an option with a new set of guards. It is really the only item that is fabricated and not purchased. That way any TT member can add an oil cooler without owning a machine shop.

I think the oil cooler will help the longevity of these great motors even if you dont have the issues I run into in the mountains out west or in tight woods out east.

indy, you are the man!!! dan very nice ct. i have a stock ct70k3 for a camp bike, only hits 40. they are almost as fun as a 450

Indy,

saw from the oil cooler shots that you're also running boyesen water pump setup. Did it help at all? I'm trying to decide where top spend my next 100.00 upgrade WP and impeller or PowerNow. Thoughts?

or the quickshot AP cover!?!?

Indy

Did you try fitting a fan to the radiators prior to fitting the oil cooler?

indy's bike already weighs more than a BRP, and after adding the intercooler for the helmet AC unit i don't think there's room for the fan :thumbsup:

So, how did it work out?

Holy Thread Resurrection!!!

I totally agree with Chasejj on the theory of installing larger fluidyne radiators for your 490 kit. The oil cooler is an awesome idea & will help but the fact of more cc's, thinner air & bruitally hot temps lead to not enough cooling capacity with your radiators on your big bore. Think of the old fram oil filter commercials when they said "Pay a little now or alot later." In this case I'll bet you'll be totally convinced & yet shocked of the impressive results if you do this. Money well spent! Take my advice, buy the rad's & a bottle of royal purple purple ice for your coolant system. The purple ice will also help bring the temp's down quite considerably & is totally safe with all bikes & also lubricates your water pump seals for longer life.

Yeah Indy, you have some good ideas, I agree I think Rekluse clutches do heat things up a bit. You seem like someone I'd like to ride with,Chasejj he seems a bit angry.

Yeah Indy, you have some good ideas, I agree I think Rekluse clutches do heat things up a bit. You seem like someone I'd like to ride with,Chasejj he seems a bit angry.

My wife says your right. I am a bit angry. But am fun to ride with.:thumbsup:

I would rather go back to riding XR400's versus adding an oil cooler to my WR450.

NMNORGE

Thats a good point you make. Prior to rebuilding my 450, I wanted it to be the baddest and sickest Dualsport out there. I used to ride it everywhere with the bigger bikes. In technical terrain I would run the crap out of em.

Now i just dont know. If the average yamaha engine lasts 10 000miles. What the point in have longer oil changes if the duration between rebuilds stays the same.

Im now religiously chaging oil every 10hours instead of 600miles (about 30 hours)

On another note, how much extra oil does the bike take now?

i know this is an old thread, but did anyone download the info mentioned on the very first post? the link provided doesn't work anymore, but keen to have a look through if anyone has the file. the link was:

http://wr450.com/photos/oilcooler/oilcoolermod.pdf

thanks!

one of the guys sent me the files for mounting the WR450F oil cooler and routing the hoses etc, i've posted them if anyone is after them. should just be a right click and "save as". its a 10mb file.

wr450f oil cooler.rar

one of the guys sent me the files for mounting the WR450F oil cooler and routing the hoses etc, i've posted them if anyone is after them. should just be a right click and "save as". its a 10mb file.

wr450f oil cooler.rar

That link is all about drz's

AM I missing something?

Hello.

I'm very interested in this subject [i know to many years late] since i want to purchase an WR 450 and using it like a lite adventure bike but i cannot download the archive and the original pdf file seems  to be corrupt. Can anyone help me pls.

with a wr 450f doing light adv 200-300 miles riding to the trails/woods to do my riding i wanted to add 1 lite oil reservoir& fan install. does anyone know for some detailed info on the job of parts and step by step install.     -- Off topic, looking for a older beater dirt bike running or not needs TLC, dont matter!  :thumbsup: THANKS much peoples  jason  :rolleyes: