what 450 4 stroke to purchase

what about modifications?

my plan is to take the suspension to pro action and get it set up for my wt.

and riding ability? 180 lbs vet c

or does anyone have opinions on the stock setting for those rider specs?

other than that i do not plan on doing anything. i anticipate that the power compared to my current 2004 kx250f will be enough.

thanks again

It already is set up for your weight. The spring rates are about right as is.

I'm not saying that it can't be improved on, but the stock "06 suspension is better than a $1200 Enzo job on an '04 already, IMO.

i am looking for any information or opinions concerning which 450 4 stroke to purchase. i currently own a 04 kx250f and needless to say i have had my share or issues with the valves and the valve buckets. i do not think anyone will be surprised at that. i am now looking to purchase a 07 450 and i am currently leading toward the Yamaha. i have been informed by some that as far as the 4 strokes go that Yamaha is the most reliable in terms of valve life. taking into account that all the regular maintenance is performed. i have not ruled out any of the other manufactures including ktm. any information or opinions are welcomed. my rider class is vet c.

thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Its all bias in here, all the bikes are good. Each has their strong points and weak points. I found that out going from a 06 KX450F to a RM-Z450. WHy did I do that? The Handling of the RM-Z is awesome. Sure the honda or yamaha might be alittle more power full here or there, but the RM-Z is smooth and smooth is fast. I can say I have owned a YZF (01 yz426F), that was a bad ass bike, maybe a little heavy, but it never let me down. As for the KX450F well I had major handling complaints with that bike. If you are truly open minded, research. You just can't come into the Yamaha section and ask what is the better bike. Majority will say Yamaha. Same with Suzuki, Honda, etc.

i agree....research is at times the problem.

each time i read a new mag. or talk with people at the track you can make

an arguement for any. this is why i am trying to narrow the subject matter down to reliability first. my understanding is that yamaha has a stronghold on this as long as maintenance is performed on the machine. as for the suzuki everyone complains about the 4 speed gear box. personally i like that.

i do not do any woods riding so on the track 4 will be just fine. thanks for the feedback.

i agree....research is at times the problem.

each time i read a new mag. or talk with people at the track you can make

an arguement for any. this is why i am trying to narrow the subject matter down to reliability first. my understanding is that yamaha has a stronghold on this as long as maintenance is performed on the machine. as for the suzuki everyone complains about the 4 speed gear box. personally i like that.

i do not do any woods riding so on the track 4 will be just fine. thanks for the feedback.

Well when I had the yamaha I never had a problem(when general maintenance is done). Suzuki, I have never had a problem. Kawasaki I have had problems. I had a 2000 kx250 and I stripped 2nd gear, and barings went bad in the steering and rear suspension linkage. Honda I have had problems. On my 1990 CR250 it just would foul plugs like there was no tomarrow, and jetting was same as when it was working good. Carb was cleaned too. Honda I have had mystery problems. That is my experience for you. My finishing order would be out of the knowlegde that I know 1st-RM-Z 2nd-YZF 3rd-CRF 4th-KXF.

Well when I had the yamaha I never had a problem(when general maintenance is done). Suzuki, I have never had a problem. Kawasaki I have had problems. I had a 2000 kx250 and I stripped 2nd gear, and barings went bad in the steering and rear suspension linkage. Honda I have had problems. On my 1990 CR250 it just would foul plugs like there was no tomarrow, and jetting was same as when it was working good. Carb was cleaned too. Honda I have had mystery problems. That is my experience for you. My finishing order would be out of the knowlegde that I know 1st-RM-Z 2nd-YZF 3rd-CRF 4th-KXF.

You're comparing a 1990 cr250 to a 2006 crf450 for reliability ? I had a 1996 rm250 that was the worst built piece of SH** I've EVER had. Should I base my opinion of the RMZ on that ? C'mon. Suzuki and Kawasaki have just recently(last 5-6yrs.) started building MX bikes of any quality. Yamaha and Honda have done it much longer.....

and the question was which 4 stroke to buy. reliability was a whole different issue with a 2 stroke.

Yamaha or Honda for sure, they both have their strong points and weak points.

Yamaha will run forever, the 07 chassis should be a little more sorted than the 06 is.

Honda not as reliable as the Yamaha but the parts are much cheaper and the chassis is pretty well sorted but is the oldest of the aluminum frames and needs updating.

I raced an 01 426 for 2 years, an 03 YZ 450 for 2 years, an 05 YZ 450 for 1 year and currently ride an 06 YZ 450. I usually put on about 40 to 50 hours per year so the 01 & 03 probably had between 80 to 100 hours on them when sold. None of these bikes ever needed a valve adjustment or anything else except for normal maintenance (oil changes, air filters, chains).

I was lucky enough to ride an 06 RM 450 back to back with my YZ and also rode an 06 KX 450 before I bought my 06. I can tell you that all three are excellent bikes! The KX had a really fun motor, I really liked the way the RM cornered, and the YZ is an excellent all around bike. I actually debated for a few weeks between the KX and YZ. The tie breaker for me was the reliability of the YZ (the KX was a new model so there was no way to predict).

I have raced for 15+ years and have owned all of the Japanese brands. I didn't consider myself brand loyal until I switched to the four strokes. The fact that I don't have to worry about valves going bad is a huge plus. (Even the CRF owners that have not had valve problems are constantly checking them because of the problems some have had.)

id say get a 2004 yz450f its an all out race bike,i love mine over the newer ones,the only dis advantage is with the 04 is that you dont get the new alumnium frame

Yamaha or Honda for sure, they both have their strong points and weak points.

Yamaha will run forever, the 07 chassis should be a little more sorted than the 06 is.

Honda not as reliable as the Yamaha but the parts are much cheaper and the chassis is pretty well sorted but is the oldest of the aluminum frames and needs updating.

The Honda frame is completely new as of 2005.

thanks everyone for all the feedback. today i rode a 06 yz450f. loved the bike. the power seemed very usable and not a violent as i expected. it is looking like i have decided on my next bike. 07 white and silver 450f. i called the dealership and have placed the order. delivery date is beginning of september.