When Does break-IN end??

:thumbsup: I only have 300 km's om my WR450. It is a 2005.

I was wondering at how many KM'S does a normal break-In period officially end??

I am taking one more ride today, then I will change my oil!

So by the amount people saying I should check all orifices( HEHEHE) and drain the bike completely.

Any ideas??

Lit_dueler

Hey lit_D,

Not sure what the difference is KM's to Miles are, however when new, I changed my oil after the first 8-10 hours, that's 2- rides. I figure that covers the idle factor and low speeds. Now I change the oil and filter after every three rides, usually works out to about 15-20 hours :thumbsup:

i figure mine is pretty well broke in by now about 450 miles... km to miles 100km is 60 miles. first oil change 79 miles recomend 1/2 tank of fuel(mine was on the highway so low rpm crusing) changed filter but did not check screen (only 1 person i met has ever had junk in the screen until 15-30 tanks of fuel. as far as changing the coolant WHY? green lasts 2 years and nothing contacts it but the pipes and water pump.

2nd oil change 279 more miles no filter

from there i will do 500 and see what it looks like but you have to do oil changes frequently

while i can't say exactly on a wr450, i can comment with complete accuracy on a 06yz250f.

dump the original oil before the 1 hour mark.

dump it again every 3-4 hours.

at 16 hours of motor time (that should include spirited riding and all rpm ranges ie. a race) you will find that the wear metals in the oil have now stabilized.

and yes, i have multiple oil analysis to back this up.

that would the the *true* defination of "when is the motor broken in".

while i can't say exactly on a wr450, i can comment with complete accuracy on a 06yz250f.

dump the original oil before the 1 hour mark.

dump it again every 3-4 hours.

at 16 hours of motor time (that should include spirited riding and all rpm ranges ie. a race) you will find that the wear metals in the oil have now stabilized.

and yes, i have multiple oil analysis to back this up.

that would the the *true* defination of "when is the motor broken in".

I saw your posts on the oildrop forum a few weeks ago. Not too many people here are very lubrication savvy technically. The UOA's I saw from you were from racing with some cheap oils, right? Are you going to experiment with synthetics with the intent of extending your drain interval and slowing viscosity shear-down?

I'll go back and keep an eye on your UOA's. I plan to do one soon with those purposes for my application, which is 90% supermoto commuting.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: