Just bought a like new 96' XR600R (Pics) 56K Beware!!

Hello everyone! First I have to say that I am new here. After spending many hours looking through this site, I have to say that I am very happy to have found it. There is a lot of good info here.

Well about a month ago I bought a like new 96' XR600R dirt bike. I picked it up from a guy who bought it new in 96' and barely had time to ride it. He said that he put less than 500 miles on it and that it had been stored in his garage the whole time. It looks awesome. He wanted $2000 for it but I offered him a trade, a Bushmaster Varminter rifle and a Sig Sauer P220 pistol.

I had $1900 in my guns that I traded. I think $1900 for it was a good deal. What do you all think? Anyways, I was looking for some opinions on what I should put in it for hop-ups or tips you may have. When he bought it he had the dealer throw a supertrapp on it and thats all that has been done to it other than taking the snorkle out of it.

I am looking at purchasing a dual sport kit for it. Any recommendations? I want the bare minimum for legalness. For Nevada I beleive that is, blinkers, mirrors, light and brake light, maybe a speedo, and a plate bracket. I have been looking at baja designs but they seem expensive.

I definetely like my 600R better than my buddies 650L. His seems to be a lot heavier. I was also thinking about hooking up some kind of oil cooler or possibly trading it in on a new 650R for the water cooling. Would that be worth the trade? It gets pretty hot here in northern NV.

Thanks in advance for you opinions!

EDIT: UPDATE bike is for sale! $2000

Here are some pics,

xr60r001ku4.jpg

xr60r003wa6.jpg

xr60r005lc0.jpg

xr60r006dx9.jpg

xr60r007kz6.jpg

xr60r008rn7.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is really as new as it looks in the photos, very nice! I'll give ya $2100 for it right now ? XR600's are great, that will be a great bike for you!

Put an aftermarket top triple clamp (like an Applied) and different bars (makes it far more comfy) and run it!

WOW! Beautiful bike for it's age! looks brand new. I'm pretty sure in texas that you would just have to slap a license plate (since you already have lights) but that's texas and almost anything is legal in texas. but i wouldn't trade that in, but if you wanted something else, don't trade it in to a dealer. I don't know if they would give a you a fair price, even though it's practically new they just might see 1996 and try to jew you down on price. But most of all, WOW, good looking bike!

Thanks guys!!

I am really happy with it. It's my first air cooled machine. I just am worried about heat. Now all I need is some riding partners.

I fixed the image sizes too 640x480.

If that is really as new as it looks in the photos, very nice!

Yes it does look like new. I spent a couple of hours with a tooth brush getting in all the nooks and cranny's cleaning the grimm out. I am like a kid with a new toy. Spend hours looking at it and tinkering. Thanks for the praise!

Ron

what does a supertrapp muffler do and why are there those discs in there that you can take out and put in ?

nice 600 R

On a supertrapp you add or remove disc's to tune the power on the muffler. You will end up changing the back pressure. This is my first supertrapp and it sounds very cool but I am thinking about getting a different pipe.

If I am a little off on the description of a supertrapp please correct me.

Thanks,

Ron

Thats an awesome find for a bike that is 10 years old. I remember wanting one real bad back around that time when I was in high school. Have fun with her.

Where abouts in Nevada are you? I live in Vegas.

Thats an awesome find for a bike that is 10 years old. I remember wanting one real bad back around that time when I was in high school. Have fun with her.

Where abouts in Nevada are you? I live in Vegas.

Thanks!

I live in Elko. Nearly clear across the state from you. Been in Vegas a few times. Pretty hot in the summer.

Ron

That is one clean bike.

I hope you plan on getting it a little dirty.?

Lol, I get-r dirty every week. Just got bored so I cleaned her up for some pics.

My daughter an I are going riding this evening (when it cools off). :ride:

Looks great, nice score, I wouldn't worry about the heat, I ran all my XR's in AZ with no problem, just jetted correctly and Mobil 1 Syn changed frequently in summer, have fun. My L seemed to run hotter than my 600Rs, it gets so fooking hot you want to drive into a lake but then the waters 120 deg.

Looks great, nice score, I wouldn't worry about the heat, I ran all my XR's in AZ with no problem, just jetted correctly and Mobil 1 Syn changed frequently in summer, have fun. My L seemed to run hotter than my 600Rs, it gets so fooking hot you want to drive into a lake but then the waters 120 deg.

Lol! I was born in Tucson but moved when I was 6. Been in Nevada ever since.

White Bros E-Series does the same thing as a SuperTrapp, although I have a larger Headpipe.

You need to Rejet that puppy. You also need a Scott Summers Fork Brace, and the right Fork Springs are a good investment. You dont need to worry about the Heat, although if it really bothers you, you should wrap the header pipes with Thermalwrap, to prevent the pipe heat from effecting the Cylinder Head temps.

In the interest of longevity, you should change the oil regularly, AND install Magnetic Drain Plugs-they get metal fragments out of the oil, and help you understand if the motor is having issues.

Also, a good skid plate is really necessary.

There are 1000 other mods you could do, but focus on handling. The big bike doesn't care if your on it, unless you tune the Suspension a little.

My 21" IMAC loves your pictures-they opened fast and big.

Have fun.

Nice bike ? I registered a brand new 96 xr600 when I lived in Nevada with a baja kit and a little speedo, they gave me a plate and I rode it for almost a year. When I was getting ready to sell it the dmv wanted the plate back because it had no odometer to track the mileage. I sold it and I dont know what the guy did but you might want to get a speedo with an odometer.