HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Squash

Oil drip plus loose kickstarter - 650r

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I did an oil change on my 650R yesterday, today theres a little oil on my right boot. While poking at the bike, I found the bolt that holds the kickstart lever on the kickstart shaft was loose, and it looks like oil is coming from it. Is that even possible?

I put in 1.8qt after the oil change and the dipstick read right to the full mark after a couple minutes of warmup..

The kickstart bolt is ommon (on lots of bikes) to come loose, just keep an eye on it.

Not it's not possible for oil to leak from there.

If your kickstart shaft seal is leaking it's a cheap and easy replacement.

If your kickstart shaft seal is leaking it's a cheap and easy replacement.

+1, don't have to pull the case, you can pry the old seal out after you pull the kickstart lever off.

Hi all,

I did an oil change on my 650R yesterday, today theres a little oil on my right boot. While poking at the bike, I found the bolt that holds the kickstart lever on the kickstart shaft was loose, and it looks like oil is coming from it. Is that even possible?

I put in 1.8qt after the oil change and the dipstick read right to the full mark after a couple minutes of warmup..

The kickstarter is known issue. The oil issue coulkd be coming from the oil drain plug. The 1st change I did on my bike, I went to unscrew the bolt and the head came off. It must have been overtightened when I got it, as I saw little drips on the floor every week. Had to drill out the screw and use an extractor. I threaded in a new bolt to stop the little drips but I know the threads are ****ed so I'm gonna end up cleaning it out and putting a helicoil in real soon.

Oil filter cover sweats oil after filter change, I brakekleen mine now after filter change to dry up the oil around the outside of the O-Ring and bolts.

Yeah, I didn't figure there was a way the loose kikstart could contribute to the oil. Just coincidence that I noticed both at the same time I guess.

I am still trying to track the leak down. It isn't losing noticible oil volume, but my boot has a clean spot and it looks like a brand new harley was parked in its spot instead of a honda!

I'll keep working to locate the exact location of the drip, hopefully it is something easy!

Mine is leaking from the actual seal that goes around the kickstart shaft. Someone said that you just pull it off??? With what? Does the case cover need to come off or is there some sort of extracting tool?

Thanks,

Lionel

Mine is leaking from the actual seal that goes around the kickstart shaft. Someone said that you just pull it off??? With what? Does the case cover need to come off or is there some sort of extracting tool?

Thanks,

Lionel

mine dose the same, i would also like the know the answer. :excuseme:

You need to pull the seal. A screwdriver with a bent tip will work, then drive the new seal back in.......with a pipe the same size as the seal. Should change the counter shaft seal while you are at it.

you can use a u shaped dental pick get 2 of them grind off the sharp point though it will just tear through the seal.

I would just take off the cover its just as quick and easy 15 min tops if kicked starter come off easy