HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hypersthenos

XRR rear spring preload

3 posts in this topic

Well my bike's pretty much sorted out now except for the rear preload. The manual sais to remove the subframe & related parts to get to the adjusting nuts. Used to be the same on all my dirt bikes but I was able to do it with a hammer & a long punch on them. Is this possible on the XRR? Also, as I will be doing this in the middle of the night I will have no-one to measure the preload with me on the bike. Anyone have a rough figure for the spring length for this for a 175# rider?

You can use a hammer and punch and not remove anything from the bike. After I put my 650r on the bikestand with the rear wheel in the air, I was able to turn the spring with my hand for most of the adjustment-sure beat a million hammer strikes. I don't know the spring length question, but I was able to measure the sag myself with a tape measure and a little patience by sitting on the bike and measuring from the axle to a point on the side number plate.

instead of going by spring length, go get yourself a sag scale or "sag setter" as MotionPro calls em IIRC. Or just use a tape measure, but be sure you measure from the same spot.

First set your free sag until it is ~ 1"

Then, get suited up with all your gear, get on the bike and have a friend measure the sag again. It should be no less then 3" and no more then 4" If it is less then you have too heavy a spring. If it is more then, you have too light a spring.